HOB Overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masoniac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would like to get a HOB Overflow but I am scared of the risks it puts out with flooding my floor.

I know you guys will say get a reef ready but I already have the tank.

Can anyone give me ideas on how to keep it so if my power goes out and it's still pumping water into my sump and my pump isn't pumping water back into my tank what can I do?

Any advice would be great.

I made a PVC overflow and haven't had any problems with overflowing or losing siphon.. Haven't lost the power since I've used it but I have simulated it by just turning off the return pump.. Ton of videos on YouTube.

The back of my tank is painted black so I painted the over flow black as well.. Blends in really nice.. It may stick out like a sore thumb depending on how your tank is.

I have seen the PVC Overflows but I'm not good at DIY stuff no matter how slow I go I have to restart numerous times

Yes I have I also had the idea to aqua scape my rocks in front of it to hide it

That was my thought as well but it blends in so nice I haven't worried about it.. I just redid my aquascape today and used the rock in other places than to hide it.. Next tank I get will definitely be drilled though..

If I knew I would have wanted a sump before I set it up I would have got a drilled one.

Take a look a life reef .com. I have not purchased one yet but will in two weeks. I've done tons of research for 4 months and this is my choice.think it through and you should be alright!the pump controls the flow powers out no flow, drill two 1/8th inch holes in return just below water line that will stop back siphon when powers out. Leave some room in sump for extra water.

, main reason is its a old 6 sided 75gal and no ones sure about the back not being tempered. Probably not but a chance I don't want to take! Like always tho want to upgrade to a 120 in future which will def be drilled! This is the best way for me to add a refigium with confidence. Check it out!

I thought about that with a hob overflow if I get a tall sump it would fill up and the water level in my DT would be below it

I'm kinda late to the thread, but if you have fears of losing siphon I would recommend an overflow with an aqua lifter. I run a CPR hob overflow with an aqua lifter and only had one issue when the pump got clogged with algae. This didn't cause am issue due to having enough room for the extra water in the display tank. Cut it real close though.

Back
Top Bottom