HOB skimmer with sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saberry

Aquarium Advice Freak
Now that I am considering a sump, I have a couple of questions. I was thinking about an acrylic pre-made but because I want to be able to use my Remora Pro on the sump, I think I will need to make my own from a tank - 20 gal maybe.

If I use a HOB skimmer on the sump, it will have to have a relatively high water level in the sump in order to 1) draw in the water and 2) not sound like Niagra Falls on the return.

If I keep a relatively full sump, can I prevent an overflow in the event of power failure or loss of siphon - if so, how?

I use my skimmer in the sump on my tank. I just removed the J tube so it is not a hang on the back skimmer anymore. As for the water fall sound. If you don't want the noise just let the return water fall against the side if the sump and it will be quiet. I like the noise, then I know I am getting some oxygen into water also.

Mike

I don't think this would work with the Remora. Any idea on the original question?

Edit: Will this work - three compartments; the first small compartment is the intake from the overflow with a divider almost to the top so that this compartment is almost full and overflows into the second large compartment (maybe to be used as fuge) which will house HOB skimmer and heater and will have a divider just slightly lower than the first and overflows into the last compartment witch has the return pump to the main tank?

So, if suction is broken from overflow, return pump will only be able to pump what small amount overflows the second divider. If power is lost and the return pump stops, overflow will only take off the top of the tank until below the overflow intake - therefore there must be enough space in the final compartment to handle that amount of surge.

What do you think?

TIA

My sump is a 15 gal tank. The water flows in to one big chamber, that the heater and skimmer are in. I built a box around the skimmer pump because i plan to turn into a fuge. Then the water goes into another chamber thats pumping into the tank

Crawling68 said:
My sump is a 15 gal tank. The water flows in to one big chamber, that the heater and skimmer are in. I built a box around the skimmer pump because i plan to turn into a fuge. Then the water goes into another chamber thats pumping into the tank

The visual helps - thanks. Now I just have to take some measurements to see if there is any way of getting a sump underneath the tank without having to move it away from the wall. :?

once you decided to go with a sump you have lots of options. If you go with a pre-made sump why not get one with a built-in skimmer? I got the Pro-Clear Aquatic Systems 150 sump with skimmer and it works great. The skimmer sits inside the sump and saves room in the stand. I am very happy with mine. The skimmer works like crazy. Although I am in the process of replacing the rest of my bioballs with LR rubble.

just run a longer piece of clear tubing from the pump out put to the skimmer! have the pump sit in the sump and hang the remora off the side. Thats what i did! The water return was not that loud.

Back
Top Bottom