Homemade fish food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kribbz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i made some fish food today. it consisted of about a dozen shrimp, handful of scallops, some small bait fish i found at the store, 4 sheets of Nori, some egg yolk (for protien) couple differnt kinds of flake foods, brine shrimp, mysid shrimp, bird vitamin ground up, some tank water and i think thats it. i put most of it in the blender and blended it up. saved some of the shrimp, fish and scallops for later so they wouldn't be completly mashed. then poured it all into bags about a quarter inch thick. just to try it out i put some of the liquid directly into the tank and the fish went NUTS. also the corals/anemone seemed to be grabing alot of the food that fell on them as well. i think that this is definatly the way to go. there are only two things i don't like: one the smell is discusting, terrible! two your skimmer goes absolutly crazy if you over feed. i put a little to much in that first time and man did my skimmer go nuts.

Curious as to why the egg yolk? Did you find it in a recipe some where? I would assume there is plenty of protien in the seafood you used, in the proper proportions. Was also wondering about the bird vitamins. Yeah the skimmer is going to go nuts when you feed, doubtful it's going to matter how much you feed, that will just determine how long it goes nuts. I turn my skimmer off when I feed.....

yeah i found a recipe online somewhere and it said that egg yolk was a very good source of protien so i decicded i would put a little in there. i didn't put much i think i used one egg. the reason i used bird vitamins was because i read on here that some people thought that using like childrens chewables would be overdosing the fish so i figured that a bird was a lot smaller therefore it would not "overdose" the fish.

Back
Top Bottom