How do I set (or break in) a new skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith A.

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just purchased a Bubble Magus NAC6 for my 75 reef tank and have it in the sump. The directions were very general in settings for the skimmate. I have a very light bioload right now (one clownfish) but will be getting more fish. It's only been running for about 2 days but the skimmate is very watery and light green in color. The air intake is set at about 2 1/2 and the bubbles go up to the middle of the tube inside the collection cup. My questions are:
1) How do I get the thick green gunk instead of the watery skimmate that
I've been getting?
2) Is it too soon to be getting the thick green gunk?
- If so, how long does it generally take to "break in" a new skimmer?
3) Is my bioload too light to get the thick green gunk?

I also have some algae that I'm trying to get rid of by using other methods (water changes, cheato, & phosphate filter pads) in addition to the new skimmer.

Any feedback would be great.

Well make it so the bubbles are just at the base of the tube in the cup that way in a few days the green will thicken and move into the cup. The water is over flowing. Just turn it on and give it time the green takes a few days.

Your bioload is probably too low right now too. I have the same deal right now. One clown in a 40g with a reef octopus nwb110. Just not enough dissolved organics to make a nice head of foam.

I wouldn't go crazy trying to adjust it now, it can take a week or two for a skimmer to break in to begin with plus your small bioload will as mentioned above generate just a small amount of organics.
:)

Back
Top Bottom