How do you add a sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beccalaura

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I've had the 14g biocube for 6 months now, and although it's relatively new, I'm starting to get some thoughts about upgrading. About a year ago I bought a black rimmed 29g gallon tank from goodwill for less than 10 dollars. I've tested it out and it holds water great without any leaks. I've been thinking about adding an overflow box to have a sump but the idea of the tank overflowing just can't happen. I'm 15 and still live with my parents, they wouldn't let me see the light of day if I mess up the flooring. So what's my best option? And can someone explain how it works? Because I've been trying to wrap my head around the idea how drilling works for the sump it's just not happening. [emoji23]

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...-system.aspx&usg=AOvVaw046Db8P_6u277uJ2yeARNK
This link will explain how to drill and never have overflow..
Basically drilling you are allowing gravity to move water from your display tank to a filter [sump] that is under it. It has to be lower so gravity takes the water to sump.
Then you have a pump in the sump that returns water to the tank.
A 1" pvc tube used after a bulkhead[what you put in the hole in the glass] can flow approximately 750 GPH so if you put a 750 GPH pump in the sump you will easily be safe or possibly not have enough flow . Pumps true flow needs to be re calculated to how high up the water is pumped .This is called head pressure.For example if the top of your tank was 4' above the pump then a pump rated at 750GPH may only pump 450GPH at 4' head . Many pumps made for this application will give you a graph to show how the pump will perform.
Water falls out of tank and is pumped back.
Sumps can be as easy or complicated as you would like to build..
A good sump build is always fun.(y)

Back
Top Bottom