Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2005, 12:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, but what I'm saying is that the mushrooms are apparently anenomes which are not so delicate, right?

Old 10-24-2005, 01:55 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Apparently I don't understand your question. If your question is that mushroom anemone corals are not as delicate, then yes you are right.

Old 10-24-2005, 06:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm not sure what my question is any more! The whole anemone/coral overlapping thing is a little perplexing. Too many Anthozoa out there! My brain is confused... . I guess it's a matter of semantics...does it come down to what the retail trade calls each animal (even if it's slightly innacurate?)

You know, I did not mean to come up with another question here! Feel free to back out of this whole mess!
Old 10-24-2005, 06:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL Where is Timbo? He started all this. Really, I don't mind answering your questions and, I'll be back after I feed the kids to even confuse you more.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do not think it matters what you call them as long as you know what they are. I have always considered a mushroom a coral and a anemone well...a anemone.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

And you'd be right in that thinking Brenden.

dianeww,
I think you may be trying to generalize it to much. Zooanthids are also of the class Anthozoa and are sometimes called colonial anemones. My yellow polyps behave exactly like an anemone in it's feeding behavior. The distinction comes in when you move farther down the table.
Zoo polyps/button polyps: Class- Anthozoa; subclass- Hexacorallia; order= Zoanthidae
mushrooms: class- Anthozoa; order- Corallimorpharia
anemone: class- Anthozoa; order- Actiniaria

I'm gonna quote something for you cause, well, this is just easier than me trying to explain. This is an quote from Fenner's book.
Withing the Phylum Cnidaria, anemones are placed in the Class Anthozoa, which are single or colonial polyps with the medusoid stage completely missing. This group includes the bulk of cnidarian species (6,000+) encompassing corals, sea fans, and sea pansies.....
Sea anemones are separated from other anthozoans in the subclass Zoantharia and the Order Actiniaria. They are often called the "true anemones."

Not sure this is what you wanted or if I've just confused you more. I guess the easiest way for me to explain it is, just because they are of the same class, they are completely different animals and though some are simular, they have different needs and care levels. So, to say a mushroom is an anemone is correct, but you can't compare care levels with true anemones. Hope this helps.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:06 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Twice I have tried to post an answer here and it has evaporated. I will try again!
Old 10-26-2005, 09:03 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Let's get this thread back to the original question. Saith, have you found your little ricordea? I have not found mine. I have pulled some of the rocks out to look around, but have not taken everything apart at this point.

Question for the experienced:

Both Saith and I have mislaid a little ricordea . How long might such an animal last in the vast rockwork of a 75 gallon aquarium if it's not found? Is there any chance it might just show up again at some point?
Old 11-12-2005, 06:10 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Saith
My dear little ricordea is gone for good. I took all my rock out today because my flameback wont leave my orchid dottybacks alone. No sign of the ricordea anywhere. I did clean the powerhead the other week and it seemed to have a lot of "stuff" inside.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:49 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I guess mine's gone too. May I try this question again?
Quote:
Question for the experienced:

Both Saith and I have mislaid a little ricordea . How long might such an animal last in the vast rockwork of a 75 gallon aquarium if it's not found? Is there any chance it might just show up again at some point?

Tags
move, ricordea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com