how fast can Ricordea's move?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saith

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a ricordea two days ago. It came on an extremely small rock, about the size of the foot. It looked like it was splitting so I was checking it out before I went to bed yesterday. This morning I woke up and it is gone. The little piece of rock is there, but the flourescent blue rocordia isn't. I'm hoping it just moved, but I'm doubtful. Can someone let me know if it is possible for a ricordea to move overnight. I don't see it anywhere. I really hope it wasn't eaten. All I have in there is a flameback angel (african), a bangai cardinal, 2 cleaner shrimp, a peppermint shrimp, cleanup crew (snails and blue leg hermit crabs), bristle worms, and I think a hitchiker crab.

They don't move fast at all. I would check around the rocks. Chances are it let go and drifted to the bottom or got blown elsewhere.

Thanks for your response Fluff. I looked all over, even took out moved around rocks, but i couldn't find it. Maybe it will turn up later.

I can't believe this same thing just happened to me. I got a little ricordea (under one inch across the top) which was attached to a tiny piece of rock. I wedged the rock into one of my big rocks, hoping it would be secure and attach there. Two days later it had just vanished, (tiny rock and all) and I figured it had come loose and drifted away, but I can't find it anywhere in the tank. Granted it's so small that I might not. Was this the wrong approach with such a small coral? I think both Saith and I need more advice! Come on, coral experts!

Ricordias are not prone to moving very far from the spot they are in.. Granted, all anemones will move if their environment is not to their liking... Sounds as if it did let it self loose... In the future, when you get small rocks with corals on them, use ordinary superglue and put a glob on the rock and stick it on a larger rock. Hold it there for a few seconds and it will become a permanent part of your structure... I have lost quite a few in my day from putting them in too strong of flow without securing them... Ricordias don't need strong flow to stay healthy.. Sorry you cant find it... Providing it did not meet the demise mine did, (powerhead sucked it up), it is still in there.. One day it will show up when you least expect it.. Good Luck.

I thought ricordias were a type of mushroom. They're a type of anemone??

Diane,

Ricordia Mushrooms are refered to as Anemones. Matter of fact, they are corals just as you state, as well as Sea Anemones themselves. All are in the same class (Anthozoa). Ricordias are most commonly refered to as Mushroom anemones because of the foot that they attach to the rock with, the center mouth they use to eat with, and the tentacles on the oral surface. When you think about it logically, it is a beautiful anemone that is sold and stated as a coral.

Well, I learn something every day! Thanks, Timbo. So corals and anemones are all members of the class Anthozoa. I just did a tiny bit of research and saw how many orders there are in this class. And sea anemones are in the order Actiniaria. Now a question. Why are mushrooms sold as corals when they are indeed amemones? Everyone on this forum says you can't have a sea anemone for a really long time, but mushrooms are recommended for beginners. Confusing! (Guess I sidetracked this thread a little, sorry.)

I've heard mushroom referred to as mushroom anemones at some seminars I've been too. But, at the same time heard anemones referred to as corals. So, I would say both are right. As for the wait, anemones are just more delicate so need a more established tank. To me it's not different than fish. There are some like clowns that are hardier and recommended for beginners where as there are more sensitive fish like the mandarine where, while being easy to keep, they need a very established system to thrive. Hope that makes sense.

Apparently I don't understand your question. If your question is that mushroom anemone corals are not as delicate, then yes you are right.

I'm not sure what my question is any more! The whole anemone/coral overlapping thing is a little perplexing. Too many Anthozoa out there! My brain is confused... :? :? :? . I guess it's a matter of semantics...does it come down to what the retail trade calls each animal (even if it's slightly innacurate?)

You know, I did not mean to come up with another question here! Feel free to back out of this whole mess! :)

LOL Where is Timbo? He started all this. Really, I don't mind answering your questions and, I'll be back after I feed the kids to even confuse you more. :twisted:

I do not think it matters what you call them as long as you know what they are. I have always considered a mushroom a coral and a anemone well...a anemone.

And you'd be right in that thinking Brenden.

dianeww,
I think you may be trying to generalize it to much. Zooanthids are also of the class Anthozoa and are sometimes called colonial anemones. My yellow polyps behave exactly like an anemone in it's feeding behavior. The distinction comes in when you move farther down the table.
Zoo polyps/button polyps: Class- Anthozoa; subclass- Hexacorallia; order= Zoanthidae
mushrooms: class- Anthozoa; order- Corallimorpharia
anemone: class- Anthozoa; order- Actiniaria

I'm gonna quote something for you cause, well, this is just easier than me trying to explain. This is an quote from Fenner's book.
Withing the Phylum Cnidaria, anemones are placed in the Class Anthozoa, which are single or colonial polyps with the medusoid stage completely missing. This group includes the bulk of cnidarian species (6,000+) encompassing corals, sea fans, and sea pansies.....
Sea anemones are separated from other anthozoans in the subclass Zoantharia and the Order Actiniaria. They are often called the "true anemones."

Not sure this is what you wanted or if I've just confused you more. I guess the easiest way for me to explain it is, just because they are of the same class, they are completely different animals and though some are simular, they have different needs and care levels. So, to say a mushroom is an anemone is correct, but you can't compare care levels with true anemones. Hope this helps.

Let's get this thread back to the original question. Saith, have you found your little ricordea? I have not found mine. I have pulled some of the rocks out to look around, but have not taken everything apart at this point.

Question for the experienced:

Both Saith and I have mislaid a little ricordea . How long might such an animal last in the vast rockwork of a 75 gallon aquarium if it's not found? Is there any chance it might just show up again at some point?

My dear little ricordea is gone for good. I took all my rock out today because my flameback wont leave my orchid dottybacks alone. No sign of the ricordea anywhere. I did clean the powerhead the other week and it seemed to have a lot of "stuff" inside. :(

I guess mine's gone too. May I try this question again?
Question for the experienced:

Both Saith and I have mislaid a little ricordea . How long might such an animal last in the vast rockwork of a 75 gallon aquarium if it's not found? Is there any chance it might just show up again at some point?
:(

Back
Top Bottom