How important is Mg in a properly balanced tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BillyZ

Aquarium Advice Addict
my system is coming up to it's 2 year birthday. A month or so back I added my first corals; a rock with two types of mushrooms. The day after adding them to the system they were in FULL bloom, better than they looked in the LFS. About a week later I noticed them splitting and multiplying like wild fire and still in full bloom. Things looked great up intil about a week ago when I did the first water change since I got them. Ever since then the mushrooms have been very flacid. They hardly expand at all when the lights come on. Here's the readings:

sg: 1.023
Temp: 83f
amonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
Ca: 400
Alk meq/L: 2.8

but I don't have a Mg test kit. all of my other parameters look spot on and don't really fluctuate (other than SG as don't yet have an autotop off)

The water change was 5 gallons (on a 55 tank) with CoraLife salt mix. I've heard this can be a touch and go mix but the new mix looked good on what I have test kits for. In the whole skeem of things, how important is Mg to a healthy reef system? Are they more important to certain types of hard/soft corals?

MG is very important in the scheme of things, although it is not easily depleted from the system. Just a hunch, if your able to maintain CA levels above 350 then your Mg is fine. Mg deficiency is usually noticed by an inability to raise the CA and a high ALK.

I could be mistaken, but I believe that coralife uses borate rather than carbonate for it's buffer, in which case you alk is not indicitive of what is really is ;)

yay... anyone want 3.9 bags of unused sea salt? might be good for traction I suppose :?

My CA and ALK levels were actualy a little low when I first tested the tank after they started showing poor signs. I used bionic every other day until I got up to the levels I was looking for, so hopefully my alk is actually what i think it is?

if maintained levels of CA and ALK a indicative of "ok" Mg levels, then can you think of another reason my mushrooms may have gown down hill so quickly after looking so good originally?

Something about the waterchange disagreed with them. Perhaps an SG shift (personallly I'd bump the SG up to 1.025) or temp swing...ph shift, etc...

Back
Top Bottom