How is bubble coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ntswift

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was just wondering how hardy bubble coral is to keep and if they would do well under my lights? I think my "myinfo" button is working but if not I will have 260 watt PC's lighting up a 50 gal w/a 3-4" sand bed. Do they like medium flow or lots of flow or no flow at all? I have heard a couple of people that say they didnt have much luck with them. I'm just looking for a nice center piece coral for my new tank! Any other suggestions for a center piece coral would be cool too! :) TIA!

They don't need a lot of light. As far as current goes, low to medium. Place it where it cannot touch other corals as it wil sting'm. It feeds at night. You'll see the feeding tentacles at night. Gonna need some phytoplankton to feed it. I do mine about 2x weekly. So far so good after 3 months.

I have a small frag in my 29G with 130W light. I agree with austin that it doesn't need much light and it doesn't appreciate high flow. Its sweeper tentacles aren't long at all. They are half an inch max. About feeding, you don't need to feed it with phytoplankton, as phytoplankton can decrease the water quality. Just cut up a small piece of raw shrimp (SW shrimp) and place it between the "bubbles" once or twice a week. You'll be amazed how the bubbles push the food to the mouth. Don't feed big pieces or too often b/c that will stress the coral out. HTH

While on the topic, I just recently got a bubble coral as well and was wondering if it was possible to put him on the side of the lr structure and have him hang out of the rock (stable) or if he had to be put upright? He seems to be doing well upright, just would look more nice on his sideways. TIA

Awesome! I already have some bioplankton and some marineplankton that I use for my other corals and clam. I only dose that once a week because the tank that everything in is way to small to put more than that without having some water quality issues. However I didnt know you could feed them shrimp. I'll keep that in mind. Occationally I will squirt a little bit of mysis shrimp into my long tenticle plate coral for a treat sort of, so maybe I can hook up the bubble with some as well! Thanks for the advice!

Here is mine. I think they are pretty hardy. I`ve had this one for 5 yrs

img_667133_0_462e3813cff66bbd0acab01e3149c5c8.jpg

Another pic

img_667133_1_e845a423a8bb67e67e1f2713e4e5cf5f.jpg

It started as big as a baseball and now is about the size of a cantelope. It is now the host to a gold stripe maroon

Back
Top Bottom