Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-13-2007, 07:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Our LFS gives you 1/3 to 1/5 of what you would spend to buy it. They aren't going to pay more than wholesale for it. Can't really blame em, can ya?

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Originally Posted by Phyl
They aren't going to pay more than wholesale for it. Can't really blame em, can ya?
Kinda my point. It depends on the item, and whether it's fresh or saltwater. Freshwater fish are typically marked up 4-5x wholesale cost. As wholesale price increases, the markup multiplier decreases. Saltwater items are typically marked up 3x - mainly because of the higher wholesale cost. If it's something that we don't usually carry or hard to get, I may be inclined to offer more to the customer bringing it in. I'm not going to buy something from someone if it's going to cost more than I can get it wholesale - there's no point.

Plus, we are the only LFS within an hour that will even give store credit (or cash, in some circumstances, though less than the amount of store credit). I also have to weigh in the likelihood that it will sell in a reasonable amount of time. I'm not going to sit on (for example) twelve 18-20in japansese koi that this lady wanted me to buy from her for $50 each. Granted, they are worth $150 each, but my area of town doesn't have the market for these fish.

There's also the inherent risk that the fish is a carrier of a multitude of diseases. If the fish looks injured or diseased, I simply tell the person we won't take it. This obviously doesn't go over too well, when they just spent an hour trying to get their 12in oscar out of whatever tank they had that was way too small for it. If it looks good though, it goes in solitary confinement, just in case.

"... if any one specie does not become modified and improved in a corresponding degree with its competitors, it will soon be exterminated." - Charles Darwin
evercl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:17 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
Agreed. Sorry guys, but stores can't take back fish for more money than what the store paid. The mark up is there to keep the business there, and to keep providing people with fish and the capability to come see livestock and choose it. It's even moreso difficult for smaller stores to take back livestock, as their markup is generally higher to pay for their overhead costs. It's just how it happens.
Nikkiheartsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
two sandsifting stars. I bought them for $15 each. They are saying that they will only give me $3 apiece for them. I thought I would get at least about half
IMO that sounds about right for something like that, though a dollar or two more each would be nice. IME, and as a few others have noted, approx. 1/3rd the retail value is to be expected on items such as coral frags, when selling them to a LFS.
MT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:43 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
IMHO, they are businesses. They don't sell 5000 units a day like Wallmart. I'm sure they cannot get by with a 15% markup.
When they can get them on the market for 4-5 dollars, their offer is not out of line IMO.
quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to Burks Send a message via MSN to Burks
It also really depends on what you are trying to sell back as well. Say you are trying to sell back a certain fish that is not on any of their wholesale lists and won't be for months. They may pay a couple bucks over wholesale because they just can't get the fish or don't want to order just that fish from a certain wholesaler (they'll probably need a minimum as well).

Stores around here are pretty good about dealing with people who want to sell or trade their fish/inverts/corals.

Burks is offline   Reply With Quote

lfs, live, livestock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com