How many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am getting 100 Nassarius snails. Is that to many for my 50? Its a long tank 48" I heard its suppost to be something like 1 per gallon. But is 2 per gallon to many? Thanks.

That might be a little to many. There might not be enough food for them to all live off of. How many fish do you have? These snails eat detritus, uneaten food, decaying organics, and fish waste. If there isnt a sufficient amount of those you might lose a lot.

Ohh sorry I didnt read your sig. I dont think you have a large enough bio-load to support that many snails.

Dont they eat the algae? I have a severe brown algae bloom right now.

If you have a algea problem then you should not band aid the problem with snails. Several things to do . 1)PWC`s 2) skimmer 3)feed every other day. 4) optional-- UV light that will kill algea spores that are free floating in water.
I know the UV is controversial to some but I`ve had pretty good results with mine and all the rest of these. Have not had algea in tank for 8 yrs. IMO I think these 4 things have done the job. Hope all goes well in yours.

I have a aqua C remora pro. It is in the break in period though. I also do PWC's. I do feed every other day. My algea isnt EXTREMELY bad but its bad enough to make everything look ugly.

IMO way too many... and the wrong kind if your looking for a super algae eater. what kind of algae? post a pic, what type of water do you use and ahve you ever tested phosphates.. what are your nitrates.

My Nitrates are at about 15 they were 20 before I put on the skimmer and I dont have a phosphate test. Everything in the tank seems extremely healthy. Its just the brown algae. It's dark cause I had to use the flash for it to show up. Here is a pic...

raoi0i.jpg

i would get 10 or 15 turbo snails they should clean that up alot and then get a phosphate kit and maybe an ro/di

I had 3 turbo snails in there that were cleaning up pretty well but they knocked everything over.

Back
Top Bottom