How many watts per gallon for coral.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeriousDude5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering how many watts per gallon I would need for anenomes, polyps and soft corals...also just incase I do get into this how many for hard corals and clams. But I am starting off with soft easy corals before I spend my money.

Lighting is not something you want to do twice if you can avoid it. If you want to have clams, buy the right lighting now.

How big is your tank and what are the dimensions?

You can get away with just a few watts per gal for shrooms,zoos etc.... I've got about 5 watts per gallon and have had pretty good luck keeping LPS ... don't know if I'll ever go with SPS or clams though... would need Halide..... If you get PC fixture I would recommend the Lunarlight series.... it's neat to have the LED's that light up your tank at night.......

Its not the wpg, its the intensity of light, if you had 15wpg of VHO in a 55gal, and want to get some sps, you cant keep them because VHO isnt as intense as MH.

SaltwaterTeen said:
Its not the wpg, its the intensity of light, if you had 15wpg of VHO in a 55gal, and want to get some sps, you cant keep them because VHO isnt as intense as MH.

I do agree with the theory but IMO 825 watts of VHO on a 55 would allow you to keep pretty much anything including SPS corals. 1 watter of PC is different than 1 watt of MH, which is different than 1 watt of VHO etc...

Tell us what size tank you have and the dimensions and I"m sure we could help you configure a lighting scheme that will allow you to keep whatever you're looking to keep.

It is a 65 gallon tank 36hx18wx24l I currently have 302 watts on it and I am looking to either upgrade to 576 which is 200 dollars more than I plan to spend or... 384 let me know what I can keep with 384 watts on my tank or 576 thank you.

Back
Top Bottom