How much Filtration Do I need???? Need Advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a new 90gal fish only tank (45pds LR, 30pds LS, “I’ll add more LR when I get the money”) anyway, no fish yet but I just visited the LFS and they told me that I need more filtration. I have a Emperor 400 ( Bio-wheel & filters up to 80gal) and a Penguin 170 ( Bio-wheel & filters up to 50gal). Is that not enough? They suggested getting the Fluval 404 canister filter (filter up to 100gal) because the ones I have only provide the listed amount of filtration for freshwater (that’s not what it says on the box). Is that the best way to go? Or are they trying to get over on me and sell me something?

I’ve looked in to sumps but I think they may be to much

What’s the best way to go?
What’s the most cost efficient for right now?

I just need some options and advice.

Thanks

I would up the LR and use it as your major source of filtration. JMHO

30 pounds of sand doesn't sound like very much for a 90 gallon tank. You want at least 4 inches of substrate, most go for up to 6 inches. I would go to a HD near you and pick up enough Old Castle play sand to bring your substrate up to at least 4 inches (probably two 50# bags should do it) and I would also up the LR another 50# (when you get the money :wink: ) but its easier to add LR when the tank is new than after it's established as it can easily cause an ammonia spike and you don't want to do then once you've populated your tank with fish and other life. The canister may be cheaper, but thats one more thing to maintain, IMO. I like the Berlin hands off ecosystem approach. the LR is expensive, but you can get dry baserock to supliment the LR you already have, thats quite cheap and will become LR quickly.

btw, Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :!: :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom