How often do you clean your skimmer & pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On my CSS 125 I clean the neck of my skimmer and the venturi every week. I clean the needle wheel about every 2-3 months.
A clean skimmer runs 30-50% more efficient than 1 all gunked up.

ok, the idiot new guy is invading this chain! I clean my skimmer out by scrubbing the neck and holding tank every week or two. Is there more to cleaning it?

What about cleaning your pump? I didn't know I was supposed to do this! I feel foolish, but it's not the first time I have made mistakes in this hobby.

I clean my skimmer intake and collection cup about once a week. I try and take the pump apart every 1-2 months.

fishyfoo, the powerhead that powers the skimmer should be taken out and cleaned often. If it has been a while since you have done so, I bet you will see a huge improvement in your skimmer's performance. :)

You know, i was thinking of cleaning my skimmer prior to the start of this thread, and when i read how many people cleaned it out so frequently made me look in my sump. Man it is so disgusting in there! I have a thick coat of dust looking stuff on the bottom of my sump and skimmer and powerhead are looking nasty! I feel terrible about this now!

artoledo said:
You know, i was thinking of cleaning my skimmer prior to the start of this thread, and when i read how many people cleaned it out so frequently made me look in my sump. Man it is so disgusting in there! I have a thick coat of dust looking stuff on the bottom of my sump and skimmer and powerhead are looking nasty! I feel terrible about this now!
I have the same and feel the same. I guess mine is long overdue so I'll start cleaning it and the pump now. Hopefully it'll improve the performance as I'm disappointed in it (if so then I'll be disappointed in myself for not cleaning it more often). I have a mag 7 pump running the skimmer. How do I clean it? Hope to get a reply soon since I'm about to partake in the cleaning right now.

I usually clean mine out along with my return pumps when I do my PWC every other week. I have to clean my collection cup once a week as I skim heavily! It is always a good idea to keep your pumps clean, they will perform better and last longer!

Back
Top Bottom