How to catch a dottyback?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
As the title states. I know there are some tricks out there so lets here them! I really dobt want to remove anything in my tank. Thanks.

2 liter bottle, cut the top off, flip it over and glue it in. Put some food in and drop it in the tank. Worked for me to catch my 6-line wrasse. You can search on YouTube for videos on making one.

Can you feed him, then slowly section off parts of the tank, until he is in a small area? Like cornering him with an acrylic divider. Hard to explain, even harder to do!

Can you feed him, then slowly section off parts of the tank, until he is in a small area? Like cornering him with an acrylic divider. Hard to explain, even harder to do!

I understand what your saying. But if my hand goes anywhere near the tank he retreats to his caves. He is a true ninja...

Do you know where he sleeps? I've also had success after the lights go off, waiting about an hour and then turning the lights on full and using a net. Many fish are stunned by the light and you might be able to net him. Also if he's in a cave of a rock you can fill a container with tank water, let him go into the rock, then pull the rock and put it in the container. Give it some time and he should come out, pull the rock and you have an easy catch in the container.

A plastic fish trap should work. Add some food to the trap and when he goes in pull the rope attached to the door to trap him. It may take a few days for him to go into the trap.

Two nets. I know this sounds primitive but if its worked or me catching minnows when I was 5 and damsels post college I'm sure it can work for you :p

I CAUGHT HIM!!! I finally got that terrorist out of there. I didnt feed them for a while and got him out with the bottle trap. I used a 20 oz. Bottle and some fishing string. Soaked some frozen krill in flavor enchancer and placed it in. He was in it within 5 minutes. I actually picked up some tiny fishing lures for plan B! Lol. Only got $10 instore credit for him which was a rip off. But good ridance!

Yep! He was very upset with me. He did kill the canary blenny before i got him out. But i traded him for a super freindly firefish!
img_2532112_0_ed130bb8d2ab17ab0ec25cf8fc324615.jpg

Back
Top Bottom