How to get the most pulse out of xenia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently got some pulsing xenia. It doesn't seem to pulse as much as it did in the LFS. Since it does that to feed, I'm guessing that if there is lots of current and/or lots of food in the water that it doesn't need to pulse as much... so it "gets lazy". Is this the case? I want to see more pulsing so I'm wondering what I might need to do, if there is anything I can do.

From what I have read, no one really knows why they pulse exactly, it may be their way of releasing gasses, etc. My xenia pulses most of the time, but occasionally will ball up and stop pulsing for short periods, although this doesn't last long. If your water conditions are good, it will be happy and pulse away. They are easy to care for, too....I love mine. good luck with it

As the good Dr. Nate mentioned, no one really knows why xenia pulse. A means of respiration is one theory, to draw in nutrients from the water collum is another. Xenia will also thrive in one tank and fail in another, both with perfect water parameters. It is a bit mysterious. If it happens to like your tank it will grow like a weed. Good luck.

- Resurrecting -

Asked a guy at the LFS about this. He told me that Xenia will pulse more with intense lighting and low flow. He said the more light, the more photosynthesis happens and it has to do the pulsing to expell the oxygen. I have no idea if he's right about any of it but I'm gonna move my pulsing xenia as close to the lights as I can and see what happens.

He told me that Xenia will pulse more with intense lighting and low flow. He said the more light, the more photosynthesis happens and it has to do the pulsing to expell the oxygen. I have no idea if he's right about any of it but I'm gonna move my pulsing xenia as close to the lights as I can and see what happens.

When I first set-up my tank with corals (soft), I was using 260 watts of PC lighting on my 72 gal tank. My Xenias never pulsed. After about 6 months, I decided to upgrade my lighting and add 2 x 150 watts MH because I wanted to start adding more light demanding corals. Within about 3 hours of adding the MH onto my display tank (along with keeping the PC lights on too), by Xenias started pulsing wildly and have been pulsing steadily ever since.

I have 2x175W MH on my 90 gal. The guy at the LFS suggested adding some VHO's. From your experience, it sounds like maybe that is the trick, after all (lotsa light). Today I moved it to the highest point on my rocks. It's about 6" below the surface. I'll post my results.

Update...
Being closer to the lights, I did notice more pulsing. My lights have lame, flat reflectors. I lined the rest of my hood with foil and covered the opening in the back with foil. It made a visibly noticable difference. The xenia noticed too and has been pulsing more. They pulse more toward the evening, perhaps because they've been absorbing the light for a while.

So, in conclusion of my experiment, I'd have to say that more intense lighting does contribute to xenia pulsing. It may not be the only factor but it did the trick for me.

Close your hand without bending your fingers, reopen, repeat. That's how I mimic the behavior when explaining to my wife why I'm putting foil all over my aquarium. :lol:

Like previously mentioned, no one really knows why xenia pulses. However, I have noticed that my xenia seems to pulse more in areas of lower current.

I also am unsure what effect lighting has on the pulsing. I have kept xenia under fairly low light conditions (3 wpg PC) and it pulsed just as hard as when I have kept it under high light (7 wpg MH). HTH

However, I have noticed that my xenia seems to pulse more in areas of lower current.
Me too. I've read that with the water flow, they don't need to expel gases they way the do in more still areas. Then again in a high flow area, one might not be able to tell if it is pulsing or not anyway. :roll:

I have kept xenia under fairly low light conditions (3 wpg PC) and it pulsed just as hard as when I have kept it under high light
Me too.

Back
Top Bottom