How to tell if your clowns are playing or fighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bear85

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just was curious how to tell of my onyx clown is beating the crap out of my Picasso clown or if they are just playing around ? My onyx is always chasing my Picasso around the tank nudging with her nose

It could be fighting since they're 2 separate species in one tank. If the clown being attacked is shaking or vibrating they're fighting for dominance. If they're chasing each other but not making physical contact they're playing. If they're both fighting each other they, just plain don't like each other.

Actually I belive they are the same species just different colorations. Chances are they are either playing or figuring out who is gonna be the dominant female.

When I bought the onyx I believe she was already a female from a different breeding pair, so I was told to buy a small clown so it would keep her a female ... Am I way out to lunch ?

Both of them are variations of true percula clowns. More likely than not they are fighting. You did not specify how long each fish has been in the tank. If Picasso is new then it's normal. If Picasso is twitching he is submitting to Onyx dominance. Onyx should not physically attack him. If he twitches and she still beats him up bad then you have a problem.

They can change sex depending on which fish becomes dominant. Generally the larger one becomes the dominant one and becomes female(or in this case stays female). So if they are both females the less dominant fish SHOULD revert back to being a male but I have no experience with that situation.

So if they are both females the less dominant fish SHOULD revert back to being a male but I have no experience with that situation.
My understanding is if both are females they will both fight till one dies. I have never seen or heard of clownfish reverting back to a male after transforming itself to a female.

I've heard both but never been in the situation to have personal experience. Hopefully if that's true they aren't both female.

If you know or at least suspect that an established clown is female it's always a good idea to pair her up with a juvenile clown. If he is much smaller than Onyx chances are they're going to be fine. If they fight to the point where one is seriously injured then take it back to LFS and get a very small juvenile true perc or any variation thereof such as Picasso, Onyx or Platinum. Snow Onyx might work too but 50/50 chance they will pair up. Good luck.

Thanks ! I believe her is a juvenile he is a1/3 of the size ! Guess I will keep a close eye on them ! I found him in the overflow box today cuz she was chasing him around ! He always jumps out of the water when she is chasing him

I went and checked some online references about clown mating behaviours. All said the same thing. Clowns can go male to female, but cannot revert back to male.

So my little clown is getting his *** kicked! He has decided that he would rather live in the overflow box then in the tank! I have bought him a breeding box to try to save him from getting beat up! Is this the right thing to do ?

I am planning on incorporating him back to the tank sooner or later ! But I believe my girl is just making sure that the other clown should stay a male... I just did this because I wanted to make sure that he lives

Back
Top Bottom