Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

How to tell if your clowns are playing or fighting

Just was curious how to tell of my onyx clown is beating the crap out of my Picasso clown or if they are just playing around ? My onyx is always chasing my Picasso around the tank nudging with her nose

Old 09-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

It could be fighting since they're 2 separate species in one tank. If the clown being attacked is shaking or vibrating they're fighting for dominance. If they're chasing each other but not making physical contact they're playing. If they're both fighting each other they, just plain don't like each other.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Actually I belive they are the same species just different colorations. Chances are they are either playing or figuring out who is gonna be the dominant female.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

When I bought the onyx I believe she was already a female from a different breeding pair, so I was told to buy a small clown so it would keep her a female ... Am I way out to lunch ?
Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Both of them are variations of true percula clowns. More likely than not they are fighting. You did not specify how long each fish has been in the tank. If Picasso is new then it's normal. If Picasso is twitching he is submitting to Onyx dominance. Onyx should not physically attack him. If he twitches and she still beats him up bad then you have a problem.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

They can change sex depending on which fish becomes dominant. Generally the larger one becomes the dominant one and becomes female(or in this case stays female). So if they are both females the less dominant fish SHOULD revert back to being a male but I have no experience with that situation.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwicky View Post
So if they are both females the less dominant fish SHOULD revert back to being a male but I have no experience with that situation.
My understanding is if both are females they will both fight till one dies. I have never seen or heard of clownfish reverting back to a male after transforming itself to a female.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've heard both but never been in the situation to have personal experience. Hopefully if that's true they aren't both female.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:59 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have had the onyx in for a month and the other one I have had for about a week
Old 10-01-2013, 01:56 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you know or at least suspect that an established clown is female it's always a good idea to pair her up with a juvenile clown. If he is much smaller than Onyx chances are they're going to be fine. If they fight to the point where one is seriously injured then take it back to LFS and get a very small juvenile true perc or any variation thereof such as Picasso, Onyx or Platinum. Snow Onyx might work too but 50/50 chance they will pair up. Good luck.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com