huh??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partypalooza5

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been researching SW for about two years now (almost every day in fact, i think I'm obsessed :p)

Anyway, My mom's friend has a SW tank and it looks terrible (SHE even complains about it) My mom is all worried I will let my tank look like that.

So she asks her how often you change the water, she said never because it's SW. (Even in FW water changes are important!) Then she asks if there's a sump under their tank she said no that's stupid. (ok maybe not totally stupid but she said there's no point in it) She also said she doesn't use a skimmer and she uses a canister filter.

And now my moms questioning my way of setting things up based solely on what her friend said! :rolleyes: Parents..

... All i've got to say is that your moms freind is ignorant. Either that, or she just sucks at researching. I feel bad for whatever is living in that tank.. if there is anything living in there ;/

There's like one fish and algae like you wouldn't believe. I haven't seen it in a while so I don't know if that one fish is still even there =(.

Correct the tank for her friend and prove yourself.... then you can keep what you want. :)

Dude, weak. I agree w/ HN1. If you whip a crappy tank back into shape, your parents will see that you know how to maintain your own tank. And obviously, that will be good for your plans. ;)

I'd love to fix someone else's tank. xD But who are they going to believe? Some kid or someone from the petstore that really has no idea what they are doing (I found out where she was getting her info lol!) I wonder if there is money in the aquarium service industry... :D

Can you spell IDIOT. I would laugh if you fixed her tank and she told your mom she told you what to do (personal experience).

Can you spell IDIOT. I would laugh if you fixed her tank and she told your mom she told you what to do (personal experience).

That happens to me alot with my brothers :(.

Oh well, If I fix it, it will be personal pride and accomplishment :D lol.

I helped fix a neighbors tank and he told my parents that he is the one that told me how to do it. Can you say MAJOR hair algae issues.

Go partypalooza. If you do fix it try to take before and after pictures.

It's probably not worth messing with your mom's friend's tank. Just make sure your tank always looks better, which doesn't sound like it'll be an issue. Some people have more money than brains (how does that happen?) and they always have to be right.

how old are you? im 21, living away from home, and my parents fuss about my aquariums every time i talk to them... i feel like i do a decent job with them, especially since i just started 2 months ago... they stay clean and algae free :)... i would just prove to them you know what you're doing... if they are no-it-all parents like mine (my dad is a high school biology/chemistry teacher) then they will certainly know a nice well kept tank when they see one... prove them wrong... trust me, parents may be out for your best interest, but sometimes they are wrong :) keep it up, sounds like you really know what youre doing

how old are you? im 21, living away from home, and my parents fuss about my aquariums every time i talk to them... i feel like i do a decent job with them, especially since i just started 2 months ago... they stay clean and algae free :)... i would just prove to them you know what you're doing... if they are no-it-all parents like mine (my dad is a high school biology/chemistry teacher) then they will certainly know a nice well kept tank when they see one... prove them wrong... trust me, parents may be out for your best interest, but sometimes they are wrong :) keep it up, sounds like you really know what youre doing

I'm only 16 xD. Starting a SW tank isn't something normal 16 year olds do from what I understand...

I plan to give my moms friend suggestions and see what happens. I'll prove it's possible to keep a tank looking great and not have it be extremely expensive. :D

I may not be a total expert, but I try to learn as much as I can. If one of my friends tried to start a tank it would probably turn into a septic tank o_O.

wow dude, more power to you... seriously, most 16yr olds have other things they would find more important than having the responsibility of keeping up an aquarium, especially saltwater... and to be doing the research you are, and with the knowledge you have, youre going to be one heck of an aquarist one day, if not already :) keep it up, eventually they will back off :)

wow dude, more power to you... seriously, most 16yr olds have other things they would find more important than having the responsibility of keeping up an aquarium, especially saltwater... and to be doing the research you are, and with the knowledge you have, youre going to be one heck of an aquarist one day, if not already :) keep it up, eventually they will back off :)

xD Thanks! Well, (mini story here) I have always loved water. When I was like 8 I would buy PVC and make stuff out of it. I was a crazy kid. xD. Then I got my first fish, a Betta, and ever since I've loved the fish keeping hobby. I upgraded to a 10G tank, (way over stocked it.. lesson learned..) Then to a 29G where everything is doing well to this day. The betta I started with lived for two years before it finally died. (I consider that a record seeing as most only last a week..)

I decided I wanted more of a challange, so I started researching SW aquariums 2 years ago. Since then I have been pretty much obsessed with them. I still spend a few hours each day researching. As I've said before I am not an expert by any means, but I'm confident I can take on the responsibility of a SW tank.

(Edit: more stuff lol)

As for the future, I hope to someday have a fish room in my own place. I may try to get into marine biology but things can change. I really would love to someday open a LFS or an aquarium installation/service business. Getting paid to work with aquariums sounds sweet to me! :D

Back
Top Bottom