I bought some ORA fish online and I'm debating using a QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought some ORA fish online and I'm debating using a QT.

My thoughts are that because ORA aquacultures and treats any infected fish prior to release for sale, I have a great chance that the fish I get will not have any diseases. Shipping stress is a different issue I feel proper acclimation addresses.

I fully believe I will QT any fish I get locally, because I don't trust them to take the necessary steps. I may avoid that altogether and pay the extra for higher quality.

I'm interested in hearing both sides of the debate.

I'm a big fan of QT'ng new fish for any circumstance. Those who aren't have never tried to catch an infected fish in a tank full of rock, coral, and oher fish. Either you won't catch it and others die or get infected or you tear up your tank catching it. Neither is fun.

A 29g will do IMO. Cheap lights. Bare bottom. HOB skimmer.

I bought some ORA fish online and I'm debating using a QT.

My thoughts are that because ORA aquacultures and treats any infected fish prior to release for sale, I have a great chance that the fish I get will not have any diseases. Shipping stress is a different issue I feel proper acclimation addresses....

Last time I checked, ORA doesn't sell direct to customers - even online. So you're buying these fish from a retailer that is most likely bringing in the ORA fish and adding it to their inventory. And that inventory most likely has some disease in it. And your disease-free ORA fish is suddenly not so disease-free...

Last time I checked, ORA doesn't sell direct to customers - even online. So you're buying these fish from a retailer that is most likely bringing in the ORA fish and adding it to their inventory. And that inventory most likely has some disease in it. And your disease-free ORA fish is suddenly not so disease-free...

I used Saltwaterfish.com. You place an order and they pick it up from ORA, pack it and ship it the next day.

In any case, I've started buying equipment for the QT.

My plan was to introduce a hippo and yellow tang simultaneously. I'm getting a 20L. Will that be enough space to QT two small-medium tangs for a month?

I have recently started a QT for that exact reason. I would never want to infect my other fish or have to tear apart my tank to get it out. I picked up a 20 gallon tank for free, and i bought a HOB aqua clear filter for $10 used. Put a $10 used maxi jet 1200 in there with a heater and let it cycle with a mini piece of LR in the filter. After two- three weeks it is ready. I also coral dip all my corals as well. Not in the QT tank but in a smaller container.

I keep my new fish for about 2 weeks in the QT tank. Gave them some ceramic pots to hide in.

Rush

Did you use LR from the DT? I planned on using a sponge filter and air pump plus some LR. I'm just curious as to why it took so long to cycle if you used rock from the DT

Rush

Did you use LR from the DT? I planned on using a sponge filter and air pump plus some LR. I'm just curious as to why it took so long to cycle if you used rock from the DT

You do not want LR in your QT. I only used a tiny piece of LR from my sump and put it into the filter with the sponge on top of it.

The chemicals you use to treat sick fish will kill everything else in the QT.

It takes that long because it is such a small piece.

Ok. What if I find an established tank from a local hobbyist and buy a frag from them. Do I still need to QT knowing that they have kept it disease free?

IT depends on how well you know the tank history of the local seller. If they have QT'd EVERYTHING before adding it to their display tank you can probably get away with not doing your own QT.
I would still QT it. I'm a bit paranoid about that sort of thing.

Since I'm new to corals, what's the best procedure for soft and LPS Coral acclimation (to my QT)? Please outline the steps and time frames...

Highly depends on what their QT protocol is. As for corals and after acclimation, I give them a bath in ReVive and then place them in the tank. Acros and gorgonians usually need more QT time than other due to parasitic infestations. I can't think of a step-by-step that's needed, just a watchful eye for corals.

By it, i mean the QT. supplies are finally in and i want to startup this weekend. Should i cycle with shrimp like a new tank or ...? I have had a sponge sitting in the sump for a fee weeks now I'm using to start my sponge filter.

Back
Top Bottom