i have a fraggin question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes garf.org is a great way to get some ideas but in myexperience they seem to propagate pretty easily by themselves. I've even see a few tanks almost overtaken by them. What kind of additives are you using in your tank? A good invert food is a great way to start and make sure you have lots of light.

Nice mushroom i would let them spread and split themselves until you have a few before you start to frag.

aragamilk is like adding water to the tank...JMO. I would recommend B-Ionic 2 part supplement or dripping kalk in. JMHO. I have been using B-Ionic and my corals love it. I have just heard too much trash about aragamilk. HTH

thanx...i will go get some as soon as the store opens and try it out...thanx again. oh btw, if i decide to frag later on...what kind of equipment should i use..exacto knife or something?

Use a razor blade or a scissors, thats what most people use. I have also heard of people using food processors, you know the things that chop up tomatoes or whatever into tiny pieces. All of them would work. Razor or scissors is your best bet!

I fragged shrooms the way garf says. I bought new scissors(just for tank use now), a 1/4 yard of bridal veil(walmart) and some rubberbands. I cut each shroom in 1/4's then put them in a tupperware lid full of cc and covered them with the veil and tied it on with the rubberbands. Set this in a low flow area for two weeks to let them attach to the cc, then you can superglue(gel) them to a rock and they will grow. My 20g now has shrooms all over from this. I did the kind you have and the fuzzy kind. Plus when you cut the old one off the rock a new one grows back from the stump.

Attachments

• mvc-884f_527.jpg
    mvc-884f_527.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 33
i read the info on garf...but ...do i cut the thing right trhough the center of it 2 times to make 4 peices or what...there is this tip in the middle..is that its mouth? these things are fairly cheap but i wanna make sure i dont kill it in the process. is there a place online that i can view pics of this being done...i can read all day on how to do somthing ...but i just wanna make sure im doing what i need to do...before i go murdering. :D

Cut right through the center like a pizza, being sure that each piece has a portion of the mouth at the point. be sure to cut right through the center of the mouth each time you cut. They say you can cut more pieces but 4 was all I could be reasonably sure of getting the mouth onto without killing it. The fuzzy one I only cut in half and it recovered very fast. Once they are fully reformed you can conceivably recut the new ones.

awesome....if i kill it..its only 5 bucks for a new one...i have a freind at the lfs that hooks me up with a handfull at a time...lol

ah..crap..i keep getting more questions in my head...is it hard to cut..like how to hold on to it...does it shrink up...is it easy to work with or is it a fairly simple operation?

Get a bowl of tank water, cut the shroom close to the base, sort of dry it a little on a paper towel, put it between your fingers of one hand and spread it out flat. Then carefully cut through the center , then do the same thing with each half. It will be a little slimy so try to dry your hands and the shroom. Then drop each piece in the bowl untill you are ready to put them in the lid. It's really quite easy just seems a little bit intimidating at first. I also did colt coral at the same time I did the shrooms. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom