I need a Chiller ! fast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evenings

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok my temp problems continue. This morning I woke up to find the tank at 86 I quickly turned on my AC to cool down the room.

research begins now on chillers.. my LFS is selling them for $600 and up and I dont know if there are of good quality. On PremiumAquatics.com there are selling this one.
pc-280.jpg

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...een=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=PC-CL-280

The price is just right and I would like to know if this is a good buy? also what other equipment would i need to go along with the chiller? thanks[/url]

Your tank was 86F in the morning? I have to wonder what it was last night or in mid afternoon.

What is your ambiant room temp?

Verify your heaters are not stuck on. Have tried cooling the tank with fans blowing over the surface of the water?

Find out what kind of waranty the premium aquatics unit has, the other has a 2 year warranty, which is good, but alo keep in mind the premium aquatics unit is a 1/10 horse chiller, for a 65g I might like a little more.

No we havent tried the fan blowing on top of the tank, but there is a fan blowing air to the side and air passes to the back of the aquarium. That doesnt help at all.

There are two chillers out there that we are trying to choose from, the JBJ Aquatica for ($349.00) or the Pacific Coast for ($339.00) the specs on both does not differ too much from each other. Anyone has any experience on using any of these chillers? are they good? is one better than the other? Please advice.

reef, it says we can use the JBJ for up to 130 gallons, also, there's really not 65 gallons of water in my tank now, with the space the live rock is occupying, my gallon has roughly 58 gallons of water in it. I do love the 2 year warranty idea. plus the JBJ is on sale at my LFS for 350 till friday.

That's the one I'd get, and I would get it from the LFS ;)

I had a 1/4 horse chiller on a 150 and it pretty much wore the chiller out ina couple of years and I wasn't running halides, but the AC wasn't up to snuff where we were at. With a 2 year warranty and what looks like a slimline design, hard to go wrong, just keep in mind that the chiller will add heat to the room it is in and they are noisy.

Talk to jeremy at premium aquatics. They have a 1/4 horsepower chiller ther that is used for sale. It was only used about a month. It is 150.00. You can't beat that. I would buy it just to have if i had the money.

brndfrb said:
Talk to jeremy at premium aquatics. They have a 1/4 horsepower chiller ther that is used for sale. It was only used about a month. It is 150.00. You can't beat that. I would buy it just to have if i had the money.

that sucks hehe
I just got in from my LFS.. my GF and I went ahead and bought the JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/10 hp for $399

now on to the next hurdle.. I need a pump to attach to this puppy. I dont know what to shop for. We dont have a sump so the chiller will be placed under the tank in the stand and I guess we'll run the tubing in the back.. I really dont want a submersible... we dont want yet another wire coming out from inside the tank. what are my options?

A closed loop is where a external pump draw water from an intake in the tank and then returns it too the tank. It is popular for circulation in reef tanks as you can add several returns and eliminate powerheads with a powerful enough pump. It would be simple to plumb your chiller in line with a closed loop.

Closed loop isn't a bad idea, but you'd have to run a good length of tubing in the tank for it to be effective. A criss-cross under the sandbed would be sweet : ) Other than that, lots of pond pumps will let you attach lines in and out. Siphon from the tank down to the chiller, and pump from chiller to tank. I'm in the market for a chiller myself since the lighting upgrade. Major temp changes right now.

Closed loop isn't a bad idea, but you'd have to run a good length of tubing in the tank for it to be effective

Huh!! I don't think you understand a closed loop. Water is taken from the aquarium and then returned to the aquarium. It is not the same water run through the pump all the time, there is an intake and a return, similar to a sump.

I know it's a bit late, but just for anyone else reading this thread and has a similar emergency, try running a closed loop through a cooler with some ice water in it.

Ah, my mistake. Was thinking of a closed loop as being more inline with a regular AC system. Same coolent over and over, but reducing heat by conduction. Wasn't thinking of the aquarium itself being the resevoir. I should probably go to bed before 5am and post in the morning when my brain isn't so tired :)

Back
Top Bottom