I need saltwater info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 90 gallon with a 30 gallon sump, yea he sees me with the camera and poses for me he is my favourite fish

This is my favourite picture of him

Attachments

• image-1802813685.jpg
    image-1802813685.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 97
Aquarium sump explanation - YouTube
Wow, thanks! I have some questions about the sump still. First, did the pipes come with the sump when you bought it or did you make that part yourself? Second, the heater and skimmer can be hooked up in the sump?How do you? Fourth, can a refugium be hooked up in the sump or does it have to be on the back of the tank, and will you please explain a refugium to me and its purpose if you can? Thanks!

The majority of skimmers on the market are actually designed to operate in sumps in 5" to 8" of water. Some are hang on tank types and there are some that are external models made to sit on the floor. The one I have can be used in sump as I have it or external. In either case, the skimmer is fed water from the pump located in the sump. So, to install it, you just put the pump and skimmer in the sump. I use a submersible heater, so installing it amounts to putting it in the sump as well.

The pipes I installed myself. My sump came with flex hose for the return lines I used until fairly recently. The hard pipes make for a neater look in my opinion.

A refugium is a refuge for some fauna and / or macro algae that would otherwise become food in the main display. A refugium may be in sump, remote, or hang on. They typically have low flow through them and a deep sand bed or refugium mud in them as a substrate. The idea here is that the deep sand bed or mud creates an anoxic zone where a type of bacteria that likes that environment converts nitrate into nitrogen, completing the nitrogen cycle. Also, small crustaceans called "pods" can live and reproduce there to provide supplemental food to fish. The macro algae also pulls some toxins for the water as well. Refugiums generally need to have lighting and it is recommended that the lighting run opposite of the display to help with the pH shift that happens at night. I don't have fuge because I don't feel my sump is large enough, and I know my flow through the sump is too fast for one.

Last edited:
I have a 30g FOWLR without a skimmer, and I have a aquaclear 70 hob and a aquaclear 30 on it. The 30 is there just to stay seeded in case I need it for the QT tank. I've never had any cyano or hair algae, the AC's keep the water good. I also have about 35-40 lbs of LR. Petco is having a $1/gal sale for the next week or so. You can get a 10g (or even 20g) for the QT cheap right now.

The majority of skimmers on the market are actually designed to operate in sumps in 5" to 8" of water. Some are hang on tank types and there are some that are external models made to sit on the floor. The one I have can be used in sump as I have it or external. In either case, the skimmer is fed water from the pump located in the sump. So, to install it, you just put the pump and skimmer in the sump. I use a submersible heater, so installing it amounts to putting it in the sump as well.

The pipes I installed myself. My sump came with flex hose for the return lines I used until fairly recently. The hard pipes make for a neater look in my opinion.

A refugium is a refuge for some fauna and / or macro algae that would otherwise become food in the main display. A refugium may be in sump, remote, or hang on. They typically have low flow through them and a deep sand bed or refugium mud in them as a substrate. The idea here is that the deep sand bed or mud creates an anoxic zone where a type of bacteria that likes that environment converts nitrate into nitrogen, completing the nitrogen cycle. Also, small crustaceans called "pods" can live and reproduce there to provide supplemental food to fish. The macro algae also pulls some toxins for the water as well. Refugiums generally need to have lighting and it is recommended that the lighting run opposite of the display to help with the pH shift that happens at night. I don't have fuge because I don't feel my sump is large enough, and I know my flow through the sump is too fast for one.
Thanks, also what type of sump do you have? I am thinking about doing a 75 gallon instead of a 30 gallon. Another thing, do you know where to buy a good stand but a cheap one or good stand plans?

I have a 30g FOWLR without a skimmer, and I have a aquaclear 70 hob and a aquaclear 30 on it. The 30 is there just to stay seeded in case I need it for the QT tank. I've never had any cyano or hair algae, the AC's keep the water good. I also have about 35-40 lbs of LR. Petco is having a $1/gal sale for the next week or so. You can get a 10g (or even 20g) for the QT cheap right now.
Thanks for the info :).

Thanks, also what type of sump do you have? I am thinking about doing a 75 gallon instead of a 30 gallon. Another thing, do you know where to buy a good stand but a cheap one or good stand plans?

My sump is an Eshopps DLX-200. You can make out MUCH cheaper if you build your own though. As far as a stand, I'd check craigslist regularly for a tank and stand. See if you can a tank with a built in overflow or pre-drilled. You may be able to come up with a whole set up for less than a tank and stand new.

My sump is an Eshopps DLX-200. You can make out MUCH cheaper if you build your own though. As far as a stand, I'd check craigslist regularly for a tank and stand. See if you can a tank with a built in overflow or pre-drilled. You may be able to come up with a whole set up for less than a tank and stand new.
Thanks, I really want a 75 gallon with two corner overflows. What test equipment will I need besides a saltwater test kit, a reef test kit, and a refractomer? Again lighting, do I need the lighting system to cover the whole tank or is the Taotronic Dimmable 120 watt good? Also, nice tank by the way.

As far as test kits, you'll want to make sure you have ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, pH, and phosphate as well as a refractometer. What will be your water source? You don't want to use tapwater, as that will drive you bonkers with algae growth. An RODI unit is a good investment in the long run, but many LFS sell it, or you can buy from a grocery store. Regardless of where you buy, test it before adding to your tank.

I think a 75 with two built in overflows might be hard to find. I know Marineland / Perfecto has one with one. You might be able to find one with one and have it drilled and add a second kit.

PLEASE be sure to invest in a cheap quarantine system for your fish as well. It's a lot less expensive than losing the entire fish collection to ick.

Also, thank you for your compliment.

I also forgot to answer, but you'd need two of the Taotronics for a 75. Chester Aquaria in Chester, VA does mailorder and is local to me. They have a programmable unit for about $475 that they say is enough for a 75 by itself. I'm on my iPhone right now, so it's hard to look up the info on it. (IT280 maybe?) I believe their store display is a 120 and they have one unit over it.

As far as test kits, you'll want to make sure you have ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, pH, and phosphate as well as a refractometer. What will be your water source? You don't want to use tapwater, as that will drive you bonkers with algae growth. An RODI unit is a good investment in the long run, but many LFS sell it, or you can buy from a grocery store. Regardless of where you buy, test it before adding to your tank.

I think a 75 with two built in overflows might be hard to find. I know Marineland / Perfecto has one with one. You might be able to find one with one and have it drilled and add a second kit.

PLEASE be sure to invest in a cheap quarantine system for your fish as well. It's a lot less expensive than losing the entire fish collection to ick.

Also, thank you for your compliment.
I am going to buy the water from the store and how large do you think the quarantine tank needs to be 10, 20, or 30 gallons? Concerning the quarantine tank, how would I set it up? How do I keep the tank seeded, do I need to cycle it separately? Does anything like live sand or rock need to go into the tank? What is you opinion about the Flame Anglefish? What is the minimum tank size for a Yellow Tang? Liveaquaria says a 100 gallon tank for the Yellow Tang, but most people say a smaller one. Where did you buy your sump from and what do you think about Aqueon's sump? Also, your :welcome:

I bought my sump as a scratch and dent deal from That Pet Place. The Aqueon sumps from what I understand are a little on the small side, and don't leave much room for a skimmer.

The problem with most tangs is the amount of swimming room they require. In the wild, they form large schools and roam over literally miles of reef, feeding as they go. When crammed into smaller quarters, they tend to get very skittish and develop all kinds of health problems. A yellow tang should have at least a 6' long tank. Don't fool yourself into thinking you'll upgrade later. All of us would like to upgrade, but we know it's expensive. However, in a 75 you can successfully keep a kole or tomini tang.

The dwarf angels are hit and miss as to whether they are reef safe. I've read stories ranging from "mine is a model citizen" to "he nips at something on occasion" to "one day he turned into a coral eating machine and killed all my corals." The geniacanthus angelfish are the most reef safe, but all require more space than a 75. They're also not as boldly colored. (These are the species like bellus, zebra, swallowtail, etc.)

I use a 10 for my quarantine, but I wish I had larger. No sand or live rock in QT, it's for fish only. As far as cycling it, you can keep a sponge in your sump to seed (never move it back to the DT though) and just move it to the QT when you start it, or do a fish less cycle on it too.

I bought my sump as a scratch and dent deal from That Pet Place. The Aqueon sumps from what I understand are a little on the small side, and don't leave much room for a skimmer.

The problem with most tangs is the amount of swimming room they require. In the wild, they form large schools and roam over literally miles of reef, feeding as they go. When crammed into smaller quarters, they tend to get very skittish and develop all kinds of health problems. A yellow tang should have at least a 6' long tank. Don't fool yourself into thinking you'll upgrade later. All of us would like to upgrade, but we know it's expensive. However, in a 75 you can successfully keep a kole or tomini tang.

The dwarf angels are hit and miss as to whether they are reef safe. I've read stories ranging from "mine is a model citizen" to "he nips at something on occasion" to "one day he turned into a coral eating machine and killed all my corals." The geniacanthus angelfish are the most reef safe, but all require more space than a 75. They're also not as boldly colored. (These are the species like bellus, zebra, swallowtail, etc.)
Tanks, also do you have any ideas for good, as I like to call them, centerpiece fish? Also any idea who sells the Eshopps DLX-200?

I use a 10 for my quarantine, but I wish I had larger. No sand or live rock in QT, it's for fish only. As far as cycling it, you can keep a sponge in your sump to seed (never move it back to the DT though) and just move it to the QT when you start it, or do a fish less cycle on it too.
A legit sponge or filter pad and will I need a new one each time I use the QT?

A legit sponge or filter pad and will I need a new one each time I use the QT?

Unless you keep the QT up and running, yes. I've just been keeping mine lately. I should clarify that I have an Aquaclear mini filter with 3 of the sponge inserts in it and a powerhead for circulation.

Unless you keep the QT up and running, yes. I've just been keeping mine lately. I should clarify that I have an Aquaclear mini filter with 3 of the sponge inserts in it and a powerhead for circulation.
Thanks, sorry I didn't reply sooner I did not get on yesterday.

Thanks :) he is a ham for the camera I love him to pieces, I snagged him out of a dying reef tank :( yay for me but I wasn't able to get the corals the guy flaked on me :/
Hey Belle, I saw in your signature you have a 30 gallon sump and I was wondering what kind it is or did you make it yourself?

Back
Top Bottom