I think I did something stupid, water change + buffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claw Atticas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was doing my weekly 10% water change on my 44gal (Refugium brings it up to about 50gal of water), but the pH was about 7.4 to 7.8, so I added buffer... It says 1tsp per 20gal, so I put 2 1/2 tsp in the 5gal I was going to put back in the tank (it's a 50gal tank, so 50gal worth of buffer should work. also the buffer is supposed to stop at 8.3 if overbuffered). After adding the 5gal back in, I saw this
100_3082.jpg
I freaked, so I took out about 3gal of water, added 3gal of unbuffered water back in, and now it looks like this
100_3083.jpg

Currently salinity is 1.025
Alkalinity is 300ppm
pH is 8.3
Nitrite is 0ppm
Nitrate is 20ppm

Also, none of the fish seem to be freaking out, though the clownfish did 'shiver' once or twice, one pacific cleaner shrimp is still hanging onto the rock (Not moving much, though he never moves much as of late), and I can't see the galaxea coral, or much of the xenia coral, but the xenia coral (as far as I can tell) is open

It almost looks like a percipitation effect with the calcium in the tank. If you are having PH problems try doing a PWC first. If that dont work then do like you did but let the water sit for 24-48 hours first. JMO

I agree with Mike. I think I would be mixing up some more SW for an additional PWC tomorrow. Mix it up tonight and let it sit overnight. IF you have a spare power head drop that into your SW and let it mix overnight.

You may want to add a ph about mid way down the tank pointing a little upward. Add more surface ripple as well.
When are you testing your pH?

I have a powerhead hanging off the overflow box, thinking of getting another to blow across the sand (To get rid of the cyano), and I test my pH weekly

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Do you test the same time each day? PH will swing throughout the photoperiod. It will drop after lights out and once the lights come back on will go up.

Back
Top Bottom