Ideas for new tankmate for Lionfish/Dogface Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

contactpsb

Aquarium Advice Regular
We just bought a 150gal tank to move up to. We had a Lionfish, Dogface Puffer, and Panther Grouper that are all about 2 years old. The Grouper has been ill for some time and finally expired today, just as we were ready to move them into the new tank :sigh:

Now we have the Lionfish and Dogface Puffer in the new 150 with 120lbs of live sand and 150lbs of live rock. I am looking for suggestions on what other fish might be compatible with these two. They are both around 6-7inches long. I would prefer an active fish like the puffer, because my grouper always just hid in the cave or behind the rocks and the lion is moves in slow motion, and while very beautiful I would love to see more activity in this new huge swimming pool in our living room!

I don't know if you ever heard of this fish but it is called a red bigeye. They have one at my LFS but that was the only one I ever saw. It was about 4 in. and it was red and had big eyes obviously. It ate a feeder gold fish about 2 in. long. I would look into it. It is the uglyiest fish but it is so cool looking at the same time. If I had a bigger tank I would definately have one but I don't. Maybe someone on here has seen one but I will look for a picture of it and post the site if I do.

I will keep both those fish in mind, but I'm open to more suggestions as well. I was thinking of a trigger actually.... Keeping in mind that my current fish are around 7in long, how big would a new fish have to be to be safe? They have never had a smaller tank mate and I don't feed live fish so I have no idea how large a fish they might go after.

All I feed them now is the large orange frozen krill. I'd like to add fish that have a similar diet. Also, should I be incorporating any other foods into their diet?

Ok I just read that the Clown Trigger can grow to 20inches, and I am not sure I want anything that large. So I'm considering the Picasso Trigger... anyone have an opinion on the combatibility of this fish with my current fish?

I have a picasso with a Lion and a couple of puffers and they get along just fine. The problem with the picasso is they can be mean little buggers and they like to decorate the tank to their satisfaction. If a trigger is to your liking I would recommend a Niger. They are much more docile.

IMO You should vary the diet more as well, just feeding Krill wont give them everything they need.

HTH

Ok I'll look into the Niger... how exactly does the picasso decorate to their satisfaction? You mean they can move the rocks? Also what suggestions do you have for varying the diet?

I feed mainly fresh shrimp soaked in Zoe, but I switch to scallops and silversides on occasion (soaked in zoe) along with some Krill (soaked in Zoe).

About once a month I buy some live rosie reds just to keep them predatory, but live FW fish isnt a good idea very often.

The picasso I have constantly picks up mouthfulls of substrate and burys one piece of decoration at a time. He takes chunks out of my LR and would take a chunk out of me given the opportunity. He doesnt move rocks or decorations around much , but does keep the top layer of substrate stirred up.

Think about maybe some of the larger butterflies. Or possibly a couple of the larger angels. (although angels can be a bit tricky I hear.)

Yeah, last thing i need is tricky... i have a very moody lionfish and he goes for a week or more without eating from time to time, and gets very "put out" easily and act like he's got alzheimers, just sits staring at the same rock for hours... so I don't need any other tricky fish LOL My fiance already freaks out over this one every other day thinking there is something wrong with him!

In my predator tank I now have a Volitan Lion, a Niger Trigger, a Porcupine Puffer, and a Picasso Trigger, and a Lunar Wrasse.

All them get along just fine, and man what a sight to see at seeding time. I feed them a mixture of squid, mysis, silversides, Krill, always soaked in Garlic and occasionally some ghost shrimp or Rosies. (although I have stopped feeding any live now that I have finally convinced my Lion to eat frozen.) The thing about live food is it definently raised the aggression level in the tank.

I would say that you would be fine with either I Niger or a Picasso in the tank you describe. They are both very different fish in my experience. The Niger likes to hide in the rock most of the time, and only comes out occasionally to say hi, or eat. The Picasso on the other hand is always at the glass, and swimming around. They are amazing to watch the colors change when they are feeding!

I would also look into a wrasse. I have a Lunar wrasse, but there are alot of others out there that have great color, and are VERY active. They swim alot and keep the other occupyently hold their own with predators, in fact mine runs the tank. [acronym="Hope this helps (or) Happy to help"]HTH Let me know

Kevin

I use garlic from time to time, but I thought I read that using garlic every day was a bad idea :?: :?:

Nitrate said:
I feed mainly fresh shrimp soaked in Zoe, but I switch to scallops and silversides on occasion (soaked in zoe) along with some Krill (soaked in Zoe).

When you say fresh shrimp, do you mean the kind you buy at the grocery store? How big are we talking here, and do they require any preparation? I know nothing about seafood, sorry LOL And what is Zoe? I use Garlic Extreme now, is it similar? I have seen them selling frozen silversides at my LFS, is that also how the scallops come?

Regarding Garlic, my LFS guy told me that it's good for them, and it helps prevent disease? But you never know if they're feeding you a line just to get you to buy something so I thought I'd ask for clarification. I just put like 4 drops on the Krill while it defrosts in a cup of tankwater.

Thanks!

Zoe is a vitamin suplement you can buy at LFS. The shrimp and scallops I'm refering too are the kind you buy at the grocery store. I usually get a pound at a time and that lasts me for a while. Cut them into about pencil eraser size and then soak them in supplement. I feed a large puffer, a large lion, a medium sized puffer, a small trigger and a cowfish two medium sized shrimp per day (probably too much). Make sure you dont buy pre-cooked or seasoned.

I use garlic extreme about twice a week, I'm not sure where I read it, but it seems like one of the moderators here once wrote that using garlic every day was a bad idea. I dont recall the logic, but Im almost sure i read that. Maybe Steve could help us out on this one.

Back
Top Bottom