Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2004, 12:05 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
I feed mainly fresh shrimp soaked in Zoe, but I switch to scallops and silversides on occasion (soaked in zoe) along with some Krill (soaked in Zoe).

About once a month I buy some live rosie reds just to keep them predatory, but live FW fish isnt a good idea very often.

The picasso I have constantly picks up mouthfulls of substrate and burys one piece of decoration at a time. He takes chunks out of my LR and would take a chunk out of me given the opportunity. He doesnt move rocks or decorations around much , but does keep the top layer of substrate stirred up.

Old 06-03-2004, 12:06 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Think about maybe some of the larger butterflies. Or possibly a couple of the larger angels. (although angels can be a bit tricky I hear.)

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 04:28 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to contactpsb Send a message via Yahoo to contactpsb
Yeah, last thing i need is tricky... i have a very moody lionfish and he goes for a week or more without eating from time to time, and gets very "put out" easily and act like he's got alzheimers, just sits staring at the same rock for hours... so I don't need any other tricky fish LOL My fiance already freaks out over this one every other day thinking there is something wrong with him!
75gal FW: 5 black skirt tetras, 7 bleeding heart tetras, 1 black phantom tetras, 1 golden guarami, 5 Mollies, 1 dwarf guarami, 1 glassfish, 6 albino barbs, 5 tiger barbs, 1 black ruby barb, 1 rubber lipped pleco, 1 Synodontis Lace Cat
150gal SW: Dogface Puffer, Lunar Wrasse, Miniatus Grouper, Blue Jaw Trigger
contactpsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:26 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to ogden10
In my predator tank I now have a Volitan Lion, a Niger Trigger, a Porcupine Puffer, and a Picasso Trigger, and a Lunar Wrasse.

All them get along just fine, and man what a sight to see at seeding time. I feed them a mixture of squid, mysis, silversides, Krill, always soaked in Garlic and occasionally some ghost shrimp or Rosies. (although I have stopped feeding any live now that I have finally convinced my Lion to eat frozen.) The thing about live food is it definently raised the aggression level in the tank.

I would say that you would be fine with either I Niger or a Picasso in the tank you describe. They are both very different fish in my experience. The Niger likes to hide in the rock most of the time, and only comes out occasionally to say hi, or eat. The Picasso on the other hand is always at the glass, and swimming around. They are amazing to watch the colors change when they are feeding!

I would also look into a wrasse. I have a Lunar wrasse, but there are alot of others out there that have great color, and are VERY active. They swim alot and keep the other occupy[acronym="Hope this helps (or) Happy to help"]ently hold their own with predators, in fact mine runs the tank.

HTH Let me know

Kevin
Old 06-05-2004, 01:45 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use garlic from time to time, but I thought I read that using garlic every day was a bad idea
Old 06-05-2004, 06:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to contactpsb Send a message via Yahoo to contactpsb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrate
I feed mainly fresh shrimp soaked in Zoe, but I switch to scallops and silversides on occasion (soaked in zoe) along with some Krill (soaked in Zoe).
When you say fresh shrimp, do you mean the kind you buy at the grocery store? How big are we talking here, and do they require any preparation? I know nothing about seafood, sorry LOL And what is Zoe? I use Garlic Extreme now, is it similar? I have seen them selling frozen silversides at my LFS, is that also how the scallops come?

Regarding Garlic, my LFS guy told me that it's good for them, and it helps prevent disease? But you never know if they're feeding you a line just to get you to buy something so I thought I'd ask for clarification. I just put like 4 drops on the Krill while it defrosts in a cup of tankwater.

Thanks!
75gal FW: 5 black skirt tetras, 7 bleeding heart tetras, 1 black phantom tetras, 1 golden guarami, 5 Mollies, 1 dwarf guarami, 1 glassfish, 6 albino barbs, 5 tiger barbs, 1 black ruby barb, 1 rubber lipped pleco, 1 Synodontis Lace Cat
150gal SW: Dogface Puffer, Lunar Wrasse, Miniatus Grouper, Blue Jaw Trigger
contactpsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 08:16 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Zoe is a vitamin suplement you can buy at LFS. The shrimp and scallops I'm refering too are the kind you buy at the grocery store. I usually get a pound at a time and that lasts me for a while. Cut them into about pencil eraser size and then soak them in supplement. I feed a large puffer, a large lion, a medium sized puffer, a small trigger and a cowfish two medium sized shrimp per day (probably too much). Make sure you dont buy pre-cooked or seasoned.

I use garlic extreme about twice a week, I'm not sure where I read it, but it seems like one of the moderators here once wrote that using garlic every day was a bad idea. I dont recall the logic, but Im almost sure i read that. Maybe Steve could help us out on this one.

Tags
lionfish, puffer, tan, tankmate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com