If you had to pick between Instant Ocean and Oceanic salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scatcat

Aquarium Advice Freak
mix which one would you pick? Thanks in advance I'm just having a hard time narrowing this down.

Scatcat

I had good results with IO but I now use Oceanic. I switched when I started buying more SPS/LPS corals. For softies, I think IO is good. I had really good growth in my softies with PC lights and IO. For hard corals, a higher Ca/Alk would be preferred.

I am on my second bucket of Oceanic and I get Ca 430 and Alk of 3.5 meg/L out of the bucket. These numbers work well for me.

Oceanic is a bit more expensive for me though so it is a trade off. Both are good but depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

I will say that my last bucket I ordered from DrsFoster&smith. No extra shipping charges!

HTH

There are two different IOs. IO makes their basic and Reef Crystals. I use the Reef Crystals and am happy with the balance of Ca/Alk/Mg in the mix.

I use IO. It's worked well for me over the years. It helps too that I can get it for half of what I would pay for Oceanic.

I switche to IO from Oceanic. For me Oceanic had good CA levels but the PH was low. IO had low Ca but PH was good. So I was going to be dosing buffer or CA either way. My chioce was based on Fluffs comment.
I can get it for half of what I would pay for Oceanic

I used to use Oceanic now I use Oc, but as soon as this bucket is gone Im going to switch back. I miss the 420 ppm of calcium. I pay about 8-10 dollars less for a 5 gallon bucket of Oc but I spend 10x that in calcium supp. A fresh batch Of Oc measures around 350ppm of calcium.

I pay about 8-10 dollars less for a 5 gallon bucket of Oc but I spend 10x that in calcium supp.
:?: I can bring 300 gal of fresh IO SW up to 430ppm of CA for around $5.
No right or wrong answer here just wondering what kind of CA that is?

There are some interesting points here. I like the fact that I'm not the only one weighing out how much it will cost if you have to add supplements to your tank. Now I think I'm going with tropic marin I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here but it's good to see what problems others have had.

Back
Top Bottom