I'm A Daddy ! Emerald Crab just gave birth ! NOW WHAT? Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XXFirefighter

Aquarium Advice Addict
Lights went off a hour ago or so and I Was doing my nightly flashlight inspections and low and behold I see a emeral crab "open" before my eyes ! She started spewing out 1000's and I do mean 1000's or babies ! They are EVERYWHERE ! What can I do to keep some of them alive? I know the LFS would buy some from me. Even if 1% make it I'd be happy. I put my Emperor 300 on Low flow. Is there anything else I Can do ? Or all they all toat by the AM when the other fish wake up? It was so cool ! I wish I had it on video. But it was over real quick.
Will she do this again?

Dude, i have no Idea what to do. But congrats!! I would at least be some diapers and baby food. 8)
Very cool!!

quarryshark said:
Dude, i have no Idea what to do. But congrats!! I would at least be some diapers and baby food. 8)
Very cool!!

Thanks !
It was UNREAL !
She was spitting out 1000's of these things...
They flock to the flashlight.

you should make a makeshift baby container for hte little guys! Something to keep them away from the fish in the morning. This way you can try to raise them! I bet they eat some sort of plankton =) hehe take a picture (this is so neat)

my crabs are more interested in eating than procreation :evil:

Think I should kill the skimmer as well? I don't think many are going in there though... I wish I could somehow save a few 100...

lziarek said:
if you can somehow seperate the little ones you can run everything then, skimmer and filter I would assume

I fed my fish today hoping they won't eat them ALL...
TOmorrow when I get off duty, I will go see if I can get a smaller tank or container I can put these guys in. I think I seen somehwere a netting that I can put in the tank and keep them in. Like a net tank in a tank. I'd love to raise like 50 of these guys and sell them back to the LFS !

Hey Fighter, I thought you took pains to eliminate all crabs from your tank. "All crabs are evil"...wasn't that you who said that?

Now you've got them reproducing?? It's cool anyway...

Brad said:
Hey Fighter, I thought you took pains to eliminate all crabs from your tank. "All crabs are evil"...wasn't that you who said that?

Now you've got them reproducing?? It's cool anyway...

Bubble Alage is more evil then Emerald Crabs :)

Hey XX, if this works out, I would buy a couple from you. There was a day when I was worried about the 2 I have, but they have been no problem. Also it seens they are the only ones that eat algae.
Besides, they are cool to watch.

Well I got home and saw no kids in the tank. But I did see a very full Clown, 3 Chromis and 3 gobies !
sigh
NO kids come to my flashlight when the lights go out :(

Back
Top Bottom