Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Great info and thank you Ben also.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes for softies only a 2-4 bulb t4ho is all you would need depending on tank depth and placement of coral of course.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for all the great info to everyone. And please if you can think of anything that I didnt ask that you think I should know please feel free to chip in. Bigben you've been a great help especially with the power heads I greatly appreciate it!
Old 06-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Some thoughts for you!

fish need it;lights; food;Sponge
Aquatraders - Guaranteed Best Prices on Aquarium Lightings + Free Shipping!

Both have cheaper light fixtures but as mentioned the Tao tronic led is the least expensive when you account for the bulbs. I have a single hanging over my 24 inch deep 60g rimless and it's more than enough light to keep just about anything. The corals in my tank that are doing the best under the leds are the SPS and other hard corals. The light is just way bright. So no worries about not having enough light with that led.

On 4 other tanks I run t5's in various color combinations. They are grow any coral I keep under them. I do however have individual reflectors on each bulb and a minimum of 4 bulbs, a double bulb isn;t gonna do the trick for much other than soft corals and maybe some LPS.

I use almost all koralia powerheads and really like them. I have the cheap maxi jets, aqueons, koralias and even the vortech. In my opinion, the best bet for your money is koralia. The vortech is nice and all but not worth the $300 in my mind.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the info Carey! Im not a fan of the Tao Tronics though because im not a fan of hanging the light from my ceiling, Id rather have it sitting on the tank, and the sites you provided were very helpful but also not at the same time as they have made me kinda question if i want just led or a mix of led and T5HO haha. And as for the power heads i think im gonna take both yours and bigbens ideas together. I think I will by the koralia for my reef and and do the power sweep on my freshwater and see which i like best that way. But reading through some of your posts i believe i may like the koralia better for the reef tank. If i may ask you Carey, whats your opinion on using a Protein Skimmer and/or Sump for a 30 Gal tank?
Old 06-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #36
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You'll love the koralias. They are great and the price is right. Just watch out if you unplug/lose power to them. They have a habit of going in reverse. They supposedly fixed the issue from what I've read, but I haven't bought any newer ones.

If it is hanging for lights you don't like, you could do something similar to what Kio did on his tank. He customed a hood with the L shaped pieces from an aluminum shelf. He used them to hold his LED units in place rather than hanging them. Only issue I would see with that would be rusting, but coating them with either rustolium or rubber would solve the issue.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
You'll love the koralias. They are great and the price is right. Just watch out if you unplug/lose power to them. They have a habit of going in reverse. They supposedly fixed the issue from what I've read, but I haven't bought any newer ones.

If it is hanging for lights you don't like, you could do something similar to what Kio did on his tank. He customed a hood with the L shaped pieces from an aluminum shelf. He used them to hold his LED units in place rather than hanging them. Only issue I would see with that would be rusting, but coating them with either rustolium or rubber would solve the issue.
Ok cool thanks I appreciate your input on both the powerheads and the lighting. Im new on the forums when you mentioned Kio i went to search for him to see if i could find a pic of what you were talking about but found a few people with Kio in their name, would you by chance have a link to his page? I really like not only the look of LEDs but the fact that they do save money in the long run and that they dont produce the heat that T5s do as well so if i can find a solution whether buying an all LED light that stands on the tank or if i can find a solution like Kio did that would be fantastic!
Old 06-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #38
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Kio 3.0

And it was a canopy, not a hood. Not sure why I said hood...but with how powerful LEDs are they need to be like, 15 inches above the water level of you'll end up cooking your coral.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks sniperhank for the link as well a the info on the LEDs I never would have known youll have just saved my future corals do you have a preference to the brand of lighting?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #40
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

What do u mean lighting brand? Bulbs or a lighting unit? Im biased due to paying too much for crappy t5's so i went all out on my leds and run 2 ecotech radions above my 55.

Tags
advice, reef, setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com