Importation/Exportation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enjoyfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Maybe someone can help me with this ? Last year i was in jamaica and i saw some cool fish but had no way to bring them home or even if i could bring them home . Now im going to the Philippines this march .Im thinking ill bring some coolers and heating packs . Maybe get some real nice fish or corals CHEAP! Now hear lies the problem . Customs . Both U.S & PH .Iv tried to get info but is so hard . Most of the stuff is to hard to understand . everything is USFWS form 3-177 revised 1018 bla bla bla . Now some places say pets need no permits that are not for resale . but may need to be held in customs for weeks . Some wildlife need permits . But they dont really say anything about fish . So my questoin is has anyone brought fish or corals back from other countries and how .

bump.gif
Anyone? I'm interested as well!!

I don't know if this will help or answer your question or maybe you already know this checkout this site: http://www.howstuffworks.com/us-customs-service3.htm

Here's an exerpt from it:

Fish, wildlife and products made from them -- These are subject to state laws, import and export restrictions, prohibitions, permits or certificates as well as quarantine requirements. For details, contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service before you leave if you plan to bring back any wild birds, land or marine mammals, reptiles, fish, shellfish, mollusks or invertebrates or parts of these (such as feathers, bones or fur) or products made from these parts (such as ivory combs or tortoiseshell boxes). We must be aware of endangered species and products made from these species and must obtain permits from Fish and Wildlife to import them.

Hope this helps.

Ok, Ill fess up, but I hope it dont get me arrested. When I went down to Mexico, on my last day their I filled up a bag with water and grabbed about 10 hermits off the shore. When I got up in the air they said it was illegal to bring any living thing back into the states. Well we were like 5000 feet in the air, so what was I suppose to do with the crabs? Well I just pressed my luck and they did not ask to search my bag in customs. I dont know what would have happened if they did. Also keep in mind this was 6 months before the attacks of Sept. 11th, therefore security is much, much tighter now. Alls I can tell you is that bringing live animals back in to the states IS ILLEGAL. So my best advice would be , just dont try.

Back
Top Bottom