Is it time for a Mandrin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPloman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My lfs is moving to a larger location and is having a big sell on all the live stock at the current store. My husband suggested that we go ahead and get a mandrin gobie now...

Here is the deal, I dont want to get one if it is going to die! I couldnt handle that, they are just too cute! My tank has lots of pods in it and the bubble tip anemone is doing very well... We have almost enough lr for the tank now, we need about another 20 lbs.

What do you guys think? Is it time?

That's really tough to say, they're really finickie (sp?) eaters. Do you know if they're captive bread? I've heard of captive bread Mandarin's eating brine in addition to pods. You might be ok in that case.

I got a Mandarin about a week 1/2 ago. My tank has been setup for 4 weeks or so and he's doing great. He does eat brine shrimp also eats some flake that I have to.

I do not know if they are tank raised. He has a few in the main fish store tank, I was wanting to get one of those if we do get one. They have been in there for a while, so I know they are eating well and all that good stuff.

Check at the LFS and see if they will eat any prepared foods.

I've had a pair of scooters in my 120 for over a month. 4 days ago I tried some blood worms and the little guys love em. If you could get a mandarin that will take prepared or frozen foods your golden.

but the eventual addition of the 20 lbs of rock will be very good. and as long as there are, i mean A LOT!, of pods then i think it should be fine. hope it works out well if you do decide to get the fish. :mrgreen:

Lots of pods are key. My tank has been up for 7 months and I know I have a ton of pods I'm still waiting til I have a ton and a half just to be sure. These are some real picky eaters but they are one of my faverite fish. Good Luck if you get one.

how old is the tank???? I would not put them in a tank that is less then a year old...
If they eat prepaired foods that maybe a 7-8 month old tank. I was given bad advice and put one in my 125 when it was 6 months old.... he olny lasted a few months.. They may do fine for the first few months but after they eat the pod population they will starve over time....I see you have a fuge so thats good..
For me the key is lots of LR and a mature tank.

Other scooters may accept frozen food, and do well in a tank less than a year old. Mandarine will not do well in a tank that is less than 6 months. I was going to get one, but every lfs i went to said it should only be in an established tank.

My take is over a year old by like two months or so. I am just scared! We want one of the pretty paisley ones. We do have a fuge as well. We have tons of pods all over the tank... I am just so afraid that it will die.

We even took our UV sterilizer off completely to see if it would increase the pod population.

It is hard to say. the sand sifter may compete with the dragonet for food. General rule for LR is about 100lbs to be able to sustain a mandarin.

Back
Top Bottom