Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question is my light strong enough?

hey just wondering if my light is strong enough for my tank. i have a 36 gal tank with a 96 watt 50/50 pc bulb.
in my tank i have 2 clowns a lawnmower blenny a clown goby a skunk shrimp and several snails and hermits.
for coral i have a kenya tree waving hand green polyps and orange polyps and just wanted to know if my light is good enough for what i have.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derdy88 View Post
hey just wondering if my light is strong enough for my tank. i have a 36 gal tank with a 96 watt 50/50 pc bulb.
in my tank i have 2 clowns a lawnmower blenny a clown goby a skunk shrimp and several snails and hermits.
for coral i have a kenya tree waving hand green polyps and orange polyps and just wanted to know if my light is good enough for what i have.
Sufficient for fish only..... but corals? Your wattage is kind of low. For your tank, you need a minimum of 144 watts total to keep some corals happy. It is common practice to figure 4 watts per gallon for a light system. Thats just minimum though.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would say you have enough light for what you have.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
I would say you have enough light for what you have.
Perhaps i'm wrong but Kenya trees need moderate to high lighting requirements dont they?
Old 09-08-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It might be enough for moderate light soft and LPS corals. I would think you have moderate lighting.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Kenya tree is IMO a weed and will pretty much grow under any lighting conditions. They will grow better under strong lighting but will do ok with the lighting derdy88 has.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alrighty then....I stand corrected. :p
Old 09-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You weren't wrong...The better the lighting the better that coral will do but it will deal with most lighting conditions. I'm just not a fan of it or xenia...
Old 09-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

well it seems alright its just that the tank doesnt seem " full of light" its a brand new light aswell. my kenya tree started as a frag was open for a week i fed it phytoplankton. it closed for a week then reopennend twice as big.
i was just curious i bought a orange polyp frag from my LFS and it was open in the store so i glued it to a small piece of rubble LR and it hasnt openned yet and this is day 3 . is this normal?
Old 09-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

and while i have you guys here i have a few more questions ( instead of posting several more threads)
1) im thinking of later adding a royal gramma and a 6 line wrasse ( wise or not so wise)
2) would later in a few months get a maderin. i dont have a fuge whats the best way to get a pod population going and keep it plentiful.
3)friend of mine fragged me a piece donno what it was he said his is worth 300 dollars. umm forget the name. anyways so i glued it to a rock and placed it in the center of the tank closest to the light . my hermits keep picking it off ( ive caught them twice doing it) only at night though. and no its nowhere to be found they picked at it so much that i only found i tiny piece that prob. wont make it.

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com