Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2004, 10:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is My lighting enough for SPS

i have a 48 inch long 90 gal.

My lighting

The state of the art Lunar Aqualight is a compact light fixture with a Blue-Moon-Glow LED light which creates rhythmic glitter and shimmering effects while promoting spawning cycles on corals and other reef life. These fixtures allow you to recreate the effects that both the sun and moon have on sealife. Includes: two 65 watt 10,000K Daylight and two 65 watt True Actinic 03 Blue compact lamps as well as four 3/4 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED lamps.

i know that i can get every coral exept sps, but i want to make sure

if i cant do u think a plant growing metal halide lamp would work?
if so what wattage?

philly
philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 10:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You only have about 2.8 watts per gallon. IMO that amount of lighting would only be enough for softies. And given the dimensions of the tank, it would be even worse because of it's depth.

Old 10-25-2004, 11:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agree with the Rev. If you plan on SPS or clams, you will really need MH lighting for a 90 gal. They are pretty deep. You would have a tough time getting 260 watts of CF to penetrate. I would stick with mushrooms, polyps, some zoos and the like. You can still certainly have a beautiful reef tank without SPS.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

i got a yellow fiji leather which is doing great as well as a slipper tongue coral which is also doing great.

im going to get zoos, polyps, toadstool, xenia, and lps corals

thanks for the info

by the way, do u think if i get mounting legs and take out the glass top, with it help with penetration, and im also going to stik on the dual florence lights that came with the aquarium

philly
Old 10-25-2004, 10:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
im going to get zoos, polyps, toadstool, xenia, and lps corals

Is that enough light for LPS corals? I thought they would need more than that...
Old 10-25-2004, 11:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea, deffinately not enuff light. In my 55 gal I have 550watts, which is like 10wpg! I do believe you should have mh for a 90gallon, but my 55 could hold sps, and lps corals. Just havent added the right chemicals yet
Old 10-26-2004, 12:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

how many watts per gallon do i need for lps

how many watts per gallon do i need for sps

i have 2.8 according to revtree

philly
Old 10-26-2004, 01:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

In my opinion, I would say for corals the rule of thumb is between 5 and 7 watts per gallon. Just get a MH retro 250W to run in conjunction with your lunar lights. This will help.

Mike
Old 10-26-2004, 05:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

5-7 watts/gal. is a bit on the high side for softies. I only have about 4 watts/gal of CF and I have a number of different corals and all are doing great.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree with you, I had just under 4 watts per gallon until recently and my corals did great (mostly softies). Infact I added on so that I have 7 watts per gallon and I am currently acclimating my corals to it. I only have them on 4 hours a day, and it was to much for some of them, had to shade them. Now I am wondering if they will be able to handle it .

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting, sps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com