Biocube 29 Do I need more light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoothie7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just purchased a new biocube 29 and plan on making it a full fledge coral reef tank with a few fish.
Here is the specs on the lighting that comes with it: (1) 36 watt True Actinic 03 (1) 36 watt 10,000K Daylight (2) 0.75 watt Lunar Blue LED Bar
I know the hood can accommodate 4 more LED strips and was wandering if I need more light for corals and if so blue or white or a mixture? Thanks

Those power compact will probably be good enough just for soft corals, if you want others I'd look into LEDs

Hey! I just bought the BC 29 too!! Did you get it from Dr. Foster Smith? I was wondering about the lights as well since I'm downsizing my current tank. I've just purchased two panorama Pro LED strips.
Good luck with your tank! I'm in the process of building a stand for mine now. Can't wait to set up the tank

Biocubes are very common starter tanks. The stock lights support soft corals and that's it. Look into a Taotronics/EBay panel, it grows anything and is cheap. You just must get a Dimmable one.

Did you get it from Dr. Foster Smith?

Yes I did :) I couldn't resist the sale they were having on them. In fact, it just got delivered to my doorstep today.

Those lights are fine for softies but you'll need more for most lps and sps/clams/nems. I believe they make an led retrofit kit for biocubes but I could be mistaken

I just went to dr fosters smith website. I've wanted a bio cube for awhile and wanted to do a reef with it. $389.99 seems like a good price for the JBJ 28 intermediate. I've seen several cubes on craigslist for around $200-$300 but they are usually dirty, don't have LEDs and I don't know what medications may or may not have been used. Do you all think it would be better to buy this intermediate with LEDs or buy one of the other models on sale and buy better LEDs separate?

the coralife biocube 29 was $195 this week. I just had to pick one up :)

Back
Top Bottom