Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

is my pistol shrimp too active

once i got my YWM he has never stayed in his burrow. Besides the regular sleeping part, hes always going out really far all over my tank and moving corals and going on my rock and attacking my rocks. He will just climb up a rock as far as possible from his home, use his right big claw and start clipping at the rock. I have no idea why, it doesnt seem to do anything

the annoying part is that he rearranges my corals from anywhere. I have a button polyp on a rock, sitting on my rock, and he moved the entire thing 3 times to try to use it to cover his burrow. He also keeps moving the sand around my GSP

not sure what i can do to make him stop moving my corals, it is annoying because i cant set up my scape well, it has to do with moving things where he cant touch them

Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

glue them down to the rock

Old 01-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Or, you could just eat him, and solve the problem LoL!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your pistol shrimp will do that again and again and again and again and well.... You get the point. Glue just like my buddy said. That's the only way!!

I've come home to find my entire sand bed and corals rearranged.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok what kind of glue to i get
Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #6
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I use loc-tite gel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glue 005.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	146176  
Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

ill look for that when i go to my lfs. I have another question

i noticed in the past 2 weeks my crabs have been hard to find, they mainly all sit on the same rock at the top of my tank. They used to be on all rocks all around the sand too but i have not seen them on the sand bed for a while. One of my crabs is inside a huge shell, and that shell has not moved in 2 weeks, although i know he is inside. I can see his legs move sometimes and sometimes he completely retracts

i have 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 1.025~ salinity and i use ro/di water. I dont know why my crabs are being seen less, i feel like they dont really move from rock to rock as much. I only started noticing when i found out one of my crabs was gone. He was trying to transfer from a small shell to a newer one, and later in the day i came back to find both shells empty and his body missing. Since than I have been keeping track of my crabs, which are 4, and they almost never move from this one rock! maybe only at night but still less active
Old 01-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
ill look for that when i go to my lfs
You can find it at wal-mart ,
Old 01-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

ohh even better
Old 01-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairenoid View Post
once i got my YWM he has never stayed in his burrow. Besides the regular sleeping part, hes always going out really far all over my tank and moving corals and going on my rock and attacking my rocks. He will just climb up a rock as far as possible from his home, use his right big claw and start clipping at the rock. I have no idea why, it doesnt seem to do anything

the annoying part is that he rearranges my corals from anywhere. I have a button polyp on a rock, sitting on my rock, and he moved the entire thing 3 times to try to use it to cover his burrow. He also keeps moving the sand around my GSP

not sure what i can do to make him stop moving my corals, it is annoying because i cant set up my scape well, it has to do with moving things where he cant touch them
Yeah, without a goby, they're too scared to come out much, probably due to their poor eyesight. But once they get a goby, they get more brave and venture out a lot more since they have a buddy looking out for them.

And yeah, you'll have to glue those frags down for sure. Mine used to use them as doors too.

Tags
pistol, pistol shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com