Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
What would be the point of killing everything in the tank?

Old 08-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

With an algae infested tank like that I would..then again people tell me that dry rock needs to be in an acid bath also.I know if that was my rock I would

Old 08-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer4eva
With an algae infested tank like that I would..then again people tell me that dry rock needs to be in an acid bath also.I know if that was my rock I would
Why would you soak a light porous rock in acid? Thats just asking for trouble down the road. The neglect and apparent algae issue can be taken care of quite efficiently by nothing more than weekly water changes and the use of rodi water (possibly a reactor to speed it up) no need for acid soaks, bleaching, etc
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
Why would you soak a light porous rock in acid? Thats just asking for trouble down the road. The neglect and apparent algae issue can be taken care of quite efficiently by nothing more than weekly water changes and the use of rodi water (possibly a reactor to speed it up) no need for acid soaks, bleaching, etc
Ok I really don't get it...I hear people complain about using dry rock and not cleaning them properly and now your saying its asking for trouble when obviously the rock is in terrible shape! Would you put a piece of that rock in your well established tank?to start I been using that method for years with POSITVE results.
Follow the link:
Muriatic Acid Bath - Live Rock "Rebirth"
Old 08-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I never said one shouldnt cure or clean rock when purchased. But to suggest that someone use an acid (hcL at that) is a bit dangerous and irresponsible. Among the numerous caution and warnings that the article gives, in the responses its even stated that bleach is a much safer alternative that gives you practically the same results without the danger, without the reaction, without actually cutting into the rock. Not to mention what kind of damage HcL would do if even a drop got into your tank
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I could be here all night posting link after link after link about the end results of using the acid bath all I said was "I"WOULD give them an acid bath.i delt with every other method bleach bath,(doesn't work)if there is a bad infestation of aiptasia they will live even after a 10 day soak and a week in the hot sun,vinegar bath (doesn't work) phosphates still leech out of rocks and aptasia will still stay alive.IMO an acid bath "when taken all precautions"and safety measures in an outdoor environment can be accomplished in a safe matter with positive results.the rocks will only be in there for 10 minutes tops.and let's look at it this way what benificial bacteria do you think is left in those rocks?im sorry if I offend you with my dangerous ways as I take life by the horns!
Old 08-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
It's just cyano. No reason to kill everything on the rock to take out cyano. There is plenty of beneficial bacteria on those rocks. Why would you think it's gone? There is still livestock in that tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com