Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
What would be the point of killing everything in the tank?
__________________

__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Reefer4eva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Glendale NY
Posts: 185
With an algae infested tank like that I would..then again people tell me that dry rock needs to be in an acid bath also.I know if that was my rock I would
__________________

__________________
Reefer4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
huma-huma's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: washington Pa
Posts: 5,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer4eva
With an algae infested tank like that I would..then again people tell me that dry rock needs to be in an acid bath also.I know if that was my rock I would
Why would you soak a light porous rock in acid? Thats just asking for trouble down the road. The neglect and apparent algae issue can be taken care of quite efficiently by nothing more than weekly water changes and the use of rodi water (possibly a reactor to speed it up) no need for acid soaks, bleaching, etc
__________________
my 125g Sw...Round 2!http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...220171-33.html
ever see someone cut a 125g in half??
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...-286438-4.html
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Reefer4eva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Glendale NY
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
Why would you soak a light porous rock in acid? Thats just asking for trouble down the road. The neglect and apparent algae issue can be taken care of quite efficiently by nothing more than weekly water changes and the use of rodi water (possibly a reactor to speed it up) no need for acid soaks, bleaching, etc
Ok I really don't get it...I hear people complain about using dry rock and not cleaning them properly and now your saying its asking for trouble when obviously the rock is in terrible shape! Would you put a piece of that rock in your well established tank?to start I been using that method for years with POSITVE results.
Follow the link:
Muriatic Acid Bath - Live Rock "Rebirth"
__________________
Reefer4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
huma-huma's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: washington Pa
Posts: 5,257
I never said one shouldnt cure or clean rock when purchased. But to suggest that someone use an acid (hcL at that) is a bit dangerous and irresponsible. Among the numerous caution and warnings that the article gives, in the responses its even stated that bleach is a much safer alternative that gives you practically the same results without the danger, without the reaction, without actually cutting into the rock. Not to mention what kind of damage HcL would do if even a drop got into your tank
__________________
my 125g Sw...Round 2!http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...220171-33.html
ever see someone cut a 125g in half??
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...-286438-4.html
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Reefer4eva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Glendale NY
Posts: 185
I could be here all night posting link after link after link about the end results of using the acid bath all I said was "I"WOULD give them an acid bath.i delt with every other method bleach bath,(doesn't work)if there is a bad infestation of aiptasia they will live even after a 10 day soak and a week in the hot sun,vinegar bath (doesn't work) phosphates still leech out of rocks and aptasia will still stay alive.IMO an acid bath "when taken all precautions"and safety measures in an outdoor environment can be accomplished in a safe matter with positive results.the rocks will only be in there for 10 minutes tops.and let's look at it this way what benificial bacteria do you think is left in those rocks?im sorry if I offend you with my dangerous ways as I take life by the horns!
__________________
Reefer4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
It's just cyano. No reason to kill everything on the rock to take out cyano. There is plenty of beneficial bacteria on those rocks. Why would you think it's gone? There is still livestock in that tank.
__________________

__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.