Is this Super Glue Reef Safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know I'm probably being pedantic.. But is this glue safe for reef use?

If you can't see, that's 90% Cyanoacrylate, 9% Methacrylate, 1% Hydroquinone.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

2-cyanoacrylate
Cyanoacrylates include methyl 2-cyanoacrylate, ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate (commonly sold under trade names such as "Super Glue" and "Krazy Glue"), n-butyl cyanoacrylate and 2-octyl cyanoacrylate (used in medical, veterinary and first aid applications).

It should be fine, I find that the jells work better

You want the glue you use in your tank to be 100% cyanoacrylate. It has been awhile since I have discussed what the ones that aren't such do...but if I remember correctly it can leach into the water column. I'm personally a fan of the super control gel that Loctite sells.

You want the glue you use in your tank to be 100% cyanoacrylate. It has been awhile since I have discussed what the ones that aren't such do...but if I remember correctly it can leach into the water column. I'm personally a fan of the super control gel that Loctite sells.

Might I ask which specific Loctite glue it is?

There's a couple on Amazon..

They sell smaller ones too, but I've found that the larger bottle is easier to work with

Fancy bottle that lets you use it underwater with ease. Just simply wipe it off with a paper towel when you are done.

So you don't have to drain the tank or remove bits and pieces?

You can just apply whilst underwater?

So you don't have to drain the tank or remove bits and pieces?

You can just apply whilst underwater?

What I usually do is pull the frag out of the tank and apply the glue to the bottom, let it set for about 5 seconds and then place it on your scape where you want it. Hold it in place for about 30 seconds and gently twist it back and forth a couple times so the glue can get into the rock and you should be good to go ;)

Can I find this stuff at my local home depot? Or is this an online exclusive?

Back
Top Bottom