It's Playsand season. Shout out when you find some!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use the cool black tahitian moon sand from super naturals and it is gret!!!! It is a black sand and I love it, but the only thing that is a turnoff is that if u place your ph facing the sand, it will create a crater, so Ive learned not to place the ph at the sand :wink:

Your all kidding correct? Play sand also used in your tanks? I have LS in mine, not so sure Id dare add play sand to my tank... lol :roll: if this is true.. please enlighten me and give me the excellent Education Im geting as I browse around this site... Its been Excellent.. TY!

Shandoni, LS is nothing more than dry sand that has become colonized by bacteria and other sand dwelling life forms. Rather than paying $$$ per pound for enough LS to create your entire DSB, you can simply spend a few dollars for a 50 pound bag (or two or three :wink: ) of this specific play sand (it's argonite sand which comes from the ocean floor) and then put just a few pounds of LS on top of that and the rest of the sand will become LS quite quickly. Basicaly, using play sand lets you save big bucks :D

Wow Ty Billy... seems I bought a bunch but Ill tell my brother as hes getting ready to purchse it .... Thank you! :lol:

Myty1705: I'm not familiar with the RediMix sand, but it is likely a Silica based sand. These can be used without harm to your tank, BUT, they won't have the Ph buffering ability that an argonite based sand will and the silica sand has sharper edges which are not hospitible to some of the tiny life forms that live in DSBs. So while it will work, and will provide you with the bacteria for natural ammonia filtration, you would be better of if you use an argonite based sand. One way to test the sand is to take a small scoop full and drop some household vineger into it. If it bubbles and foams it is agronite based sand. If not, it is likely silica.

HTH

I dropped some into the vinegar and it bubbled for 30-45 min. but no foam. I have places a 50 lb bag into my tank and topped that of with a 15 lb bag or aragonite sand. Will that suffice for the ph? I hope for my fishes sake it will. I checked the ph and it was at around 7.9. The water around here is notoriously hard, will that affect the ph as well? t.i.a.

the value in alden new york is a franchice and just got in a full pallet of the stuff. i don't due SW but after reading alot of different threads here about the stuff i got some for my crab tank and those guys love it.

I attempted to get some southdown this weekend from the Home Depots in Northern Va and had no luck. I did however learn that the staff at HD don't get upset if you bring your dog with you :D

I have been following this forum for a short while. I just had to sign up to report that I found and bought 5 bags at the new Home Depot in Elk Grove,Illinois.

They had almost a full pallet when I left today 4-27

HD in Milwauke has a TON of it. two pallets. at least. That was just at one of them. Heading up there again in two weeks to get alot more. If you are in indiana and need some let me know will have alot for sale.

Cemex is the new company Yard Right Tropical Sand UPC 9060420101-9 Telephone # for Cemex 800-526-1753
Old Castle SKU used to be 578-819 Not sure if it is the same with the company being bought out.

If I were to purchase play sand and then add Live Rock, would the sand eventually become Live as well? or should I have at least some Live sand to start. and If so, what percentage makes a good mix?

The Lowes and ACE here in Clovis, New Mexico both have a couple pallets each for like $4.50 a bag.

On a side note, I have an interesting question. There's several sand dunes around here (Eastern New Mexico) and one park near here in particular has more sand than I care to see after my 4 1/2 month "vacation" in the Middle East. ANYway...we were out there last weekend and while the kids were running crazy all over it I got to looking at the sand and wondering..hmmmm.... "Fish tank material?" So the question I suppose is, would that type of sand also work?

To be honest, I had no idea play sand was an alternative until about ten minutes ago when I stumbled across this thread.

RocketSeason: Yes, playsand will eventualy become LS fromt he LR, but if you have a few bucks, I would reccomend getting a couple pounds of LS from an established tank to add to your sand to improve the bio-diversity of the life forms in the sand.

42jeff: Silica sand can be used but argonite sand is much prefered. The only issue I'd be concerned about using sand from dug up from inland would be possible pollutants. I'd check on that before adding it to your tank. (again, you'd be better off with argonite sand any way)

and yes, Yard right/old castle sand is argonite sand from the ocean floor.

Back
Top Bottom