It's so on now - 72g Reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks great so far.

Between your thread and ziggy's i have learned so many things that i otherwise would have overlooked or never thought of. Thank you for including so much detail and pictures to help and inform n00bs like myself.

I am excited to see how everything progresses.

Ian

Thanks again Ian for the compliments, that's why folks like me make these threads, so others can get ideas and learn from our mistakes.

I hope to get the 2d MH wired tonight and get it back up on the tank to see what it looks like. I'm still keeping the tank in the dark while my cycle progresses to keep from having algae flare up on me, but turning them on for a peek here and there won't hurt.

Alright, it's time to stop messing around and get this lighting squared away.

Ran by Lowe's today, picked up what I intend to use for my quick disconnects.
IMG_2556.JPG

For wire, I'm using a Marine wire used for electrical harness for something in a boat. I selected the 16/3 for my purposes. Perhaps a bit overkill, but whatever. 16/3 just means 16AWG wire and there's 3 of them wrapped inside an outer insulation. You'll see in one of the upcoming pics.

If you've never done this, here's a quick photo summary. I'll demo one of them, then just repeat for the others.

Unscrew the 3 screws in the face and open 'er up. This is what it looks like inside:
IMG_2559.JPG

Push your wire through the back piece, separate and strip the ends of the wire, about 1/2"
IMG_2564.JPG

Now, open each of the 3 clamps, and 1 by 1 insert the appropriate wire and clamp it down. Make sure you clamp the wire, not the insulation, to ensure good contact.
IMG_2565.JPG

Now, slide the backshell up, screw in the 3 screws in the face and get them secure. This is the trickiest part to the whole thing, cuz you can't see the receiving end of the insert to line up the screws easily inside the backshell. Once you get it, on the other end of the backshell, tighten down the clamp - this clamp is used to make sure the wires don't get pulled from the contacts.
IMG_2566.JPG

Repeat for the other end and BOOM! You're done!
IMG_2567.JPG

This do-it-yourself photo summary was made possible by your friends at Aquarium Advice. Please use at your own risk.

lol

Alright, lighting and wiring in the canopy is complete, except for the fans. I'll get to that later. I also have LEDs and resistors and intend to build my own moonlights. Perhaps next week.

Here's the completed interior of the canopy.
IMG_2569.JPG

Here's the back of it
IMG_2571.JPG

The MHs were the last to get wired, he they are on their test fire.
IMG_2568.JPG

And (drum roll please)
All the lights, 2x175MH - Reeflux 12000K bulbs
2x54W T5HO - Geissman Super Actinic and Actinic+ bulb
IMG_2576.JPG

We started looking around now that we can see. We've found several feather duster/tubeworm things that are bright red, and a couple small brittle stars.
IMG_2573.JPG

Looks like you're rock has done quite well while in "the hole". I think I see purple on a few of them too!

Very nice, that one pic even shows the shadows from the two mh lamps. I love that shimmering look.

Eventhougth I got a jump start on you looks like you will be up and running before me : ( Hoping that extra Fully Cured 22lbs of LR will help it catch up on the cylce what do your test look like?

Peaks and Valleys for me cooltop. Slow and steady wins the race I'm told. lol

Here's what my cycle has looked like so far.

cycle%20stat.jpg

I have several of those red feather dusters in my fuge and on the rock in my sump. They don't seem to like a lot of light or at least the ones in my tank dont. They seem to pop up in the shaded areas. I have lots of little white ones too.

The tank is certainly looking good!!!

Just waiting on the cycle to finish now. NitrItes are spiking (1.5ppm) quickly, so hopefully they'll turn the corner and drop out soon.

I'll start with a school of chromis, beyond that, I have no idea. Really just wanting to get all my corals in the tank.

I'll start with a school of chromis

The fish look cool but i've heard as far as personality goes they are kinda dull. Just though i would make mention of it since i like my fish to be more interesting in that way.

Back
Top Bottom