It's so on now - 72g Reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The tank rests at 79 degrees, and thus far the MHs don't seem to warm it up any with the cooling I have in the canopy, but I haven't run the MHs any more than 3 hours at a time so far, so time will tell on this.

I redid my rockwork about a dozen times over the past few days. Did a 35ish gallon water change yesterday, and was prepared to go get some inverts and a few chromis - till I realized the LFS I want to use is closed on Sundays and Mondays. So, I dosed ammonia yesterday, and will reevaluate tonight and hope to get some stuff tomorrow when they're open again.

Im too lazy right now to go back and look. What did you do for cooling in the canopy? If you used fans, what direction are they pointing and do you have holes in the top of the canopy?

Recall that my canopy is much larger than my tank, so there's open space front and back of the tank where the canopy overhangs.

I have 2 4" fans, one on either side, blowing in accross the MH bulb. But, so far only 1 fan has been hooked up.

I ran the MH one day for 3 hours with no fans, water temp rose 2 deg. Next day I ran with fans, and saw no temperature change in the water.

Well, after all the earlier discussion, when I moved the tank I installed the mag7. Based on it's performance, I'm wishing I would've stuck with the Mag9.5, but can't seem to figure out what happened to it.

I will likely eventually swap it back out. The overflow is still making the noise, it may be quieter by a bit, but still. So if I'm going to have to listen to it, I might as well have the better flow. So, I'll look for another option to quiet it down, and replace it with another Mag 9.5 at some point in the future.

When you say the Mag7 is not enough flow are you talking about your closed loop or your return? I would think it would be plenty enough for a 72-gallon if used for the return. Check out this website to quiet down your overflow!
Hofer Gurgle Buster Construction I have heard these work awesome, even better than the durso style. This is what I am going to use in the 180 if it is noisey.

I was just poking fun Allen. I think you're right, I believe there's another one in there somewhere.

Ryshark, thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Basically, my plan was to use the return to create some flow behind the rockwork on the back glass, just to keep things moving around. I have the mag7 hooked up on 3/4" PVC, which is then split in a Locline Y, that then has Y's on each of the 2 outputs - so 4 total outputs coming off of it, to disperse it around a bit. Not quite getting the velocity of flow I believe that I want.

Options? well, I could remove the endpoint Ys, reorient them better, agreed. But, with the 7 I think I'm a little lower overall flow that I want to be at, so the 9.5 would assist with my overall turnover rate.

We'll see, I'm not overly concerned with it at the moment, and it's easily interchangable if I ever do decide that's what i want to do.

I guess I need to come by sometime and have a look at things. More flow from the return pump could cause more issues then it fixes. I'm running that mag 9.5 on a 120 and also the 55 and it generates enough flow for both tanks, with 1" PVC return lines. I think if you up the return lines to 1" and reduce the outputs to 2 the mag 7 will be perfect. A larger return pump could cause you to have a lot of micro bubbles in the main tank.

Time to buy a Vortech pump! MP40W - $439.99 or the MP20 $295.99

Unless you have a very large, deep sump the 9.5 is going to create micro bubbles in a tank smaller then say 110g. The mag 7 should be enough for a 72.

I don't know that I agree. When I had the 9.5 running during my leak checks in the garage, I had no bubbles from the return. the CL I'm having bubble issues with, but not the return.

My sump is a 19" tall tank, with 12" of working water depth.

I don't know that I agree. When I had the 9.5 running during my leak checks in the garage, I had no bubbles from the return. the CL I'm having bubble issues with, but not the return.

My sump is a 19" tall tank, with 12" of working water depth.

I would say you didn't have a bubble issue because you had fresh water in the test phase while in the garage. Different issues pop up when it is SW.

Back
Top Bottom