Jawfish Burrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pat8you

Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked up a yellow head jawfish a few days ago. He seems to have settled into the tank and has made himself a burrow. The problem is he made his home in the most inaccessible corner of the tank. It is were there is the most rock and the way the flow is set up in the tank it makes it really difficult to get food down there to him. I don't want him to start to starve. Will jawfish move their burrow if there isn't much food there?

Probably not. You can either feed him down there or near his burrow or you can rearrange your rock to make him move. My suggestion is to figure a way to feed him where he is since he has made his burrow and gotten happy in your tank.

I've tried everything to get food to the little corner where he is. The only good way is to shoot it down there with a turkey baster. But then that scares him and all the food i just shot down there goes uneaten because he won't come out. This is quite frusterating.

I will just let him do his thing- once he notices he's not being feed he will relocate or just come out on feedings and grab whatever he can- remember he is new so it can sometimes take more than a few days for them to eat- Also they will much on whatever pods that come out at night...

It has been probably about a week now. I have seen him eat a little bit when something flows by. It is just really hard to get anything down there. Hopefully he will move on his own soon.

If jawfish are unable to acquire food or constantly unsettled they will dig a new burrow. Yellow-head jawfish are much smaller than their other kin so they tend to be more willing to "travel" ime.

i hope you have a cover over your tank. as much as i like these guys, they love to jump. even at the lfs, when they get in a bunch of them, you can see them literally jumping one after the other.

The tank is covered with a mesh screen to prevent any of my fish from jumping. Hopefully once it feels more comfortable in the tank it will look for a new location where i can feed him more easily.

One of the tanks I maintain has a Banded Jawfish, boring colors but lots of character, he will watch for the food to hit the surface and then bolt out lightning fast to the top and back down. It's cool to watch. He'll eat when he gets hungry, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I agree with Floyd. If he has found a spot he likes it is unlikely he will move but he will figure out a way to eat. I wouldn't stress too much about it either.

Back
Top Bottom