Jelly Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharktaimer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I recently started a jelly tank (8 gal, jelly specific with 3 moon jellies). The past 2 weeks they've done amazingly well but yesterday I noticed that 2 of the 3 seem to be rather lethargic (1 very much so) just laying at the bottom of the tank for the most part. The salinity is perfect and from what I can tell the water quality is good (picking up a test kit tomorrow to double check) and they are fed daily. Any suggestions?

Idk about moon jellys but i do know box jellies will chill at the bottom and sleep.
But first things first, did you cycle the tank? And if so, how?

The tank instructions said it didn't require any cycling and came with liverock.

How big are they? What temperature is the tank? Also, moon jellies seem to be pretty picky about water quality, so I recommend getting the test kit asap. You can't necessarily tell if water quality is good just by looking at it.

..idk if theres anything special with it but every tank needs to cycle. Did the tank have the water and rock in it when you got it?? And have you tested the water to see the levels?

The tank was purchased from JellyFish Art Jellyfish Tanks | Pet Jellyfish, Jellyfish Aquariums, and Accessories It is the 8gal cylinder tank. Its just strange that they were doing fine until last night. I've had reef tanks in the past but this is my first jelly tank and 1 of the 3 is still swimming around just fine. So confused lol

Hmmm, it seems the link has to be approved. The tank was purchased from Jellyfishart.com It is the 8 gal cylinder tank. I've kept reef tanks in the past but this is my first experience with jellies. Its just strange that 1 of the 3 is doing just fine. I hope they are just sleeping as tarpon suggested...Sorry for the duplicate post once the link is approved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every tank needs a cycle. It could be that one of your levels spiked (during the cycle) and thats why they are acting wierd. Hope they get better!!!!! GL!!!!!

Update: The amonia was high and the jellies have bounced back nicely! I found it odd myself that the tank setup said it did not need to cycle...it was a gift though and the jellies arrived along with the tank so I had to hope for the best. They are doing well for the moment, I'll keep a close eye on the levels for a bit. Thank you all for your advice, it was greatly appreciated! :D

You should complain and tell them the lack of cycling as suggested was killing your jellies!!!

Ok, so they were doing better...there is no amonia in the tank, ph is good, salinity is good and they are back to not doing very well at all. I dont know what else to try! Will be happy to post pics if they survive.

If you need info on Jellyfish talk with a guy named Jim Stime of Aquarium Design in Thousand Oaks CA. I know he really knows his stuff and even sells his own line of Jellyfish tanks/setups.

Latest update: Got home from work today and the jellies didn't make it...My tank is very empty and sad. But I'm going to empty it and start over (properly cycling it this time) and try again!

Just checked out the link, very cool. From the video it appears they provide some live rock/gravel and add instant cycle stuff. You would still want to ensure the tank is cycled ahead of time which they don't tell you. All in all though it's a pretty sweet setup and definitely unique. I want one lol.

Back
Top Bottom