Jet Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willbratz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had one of those "start in reverse" jets for awhile. Whelp it got my Blue Regal that I had since it was basically the size of a dime (was about a silver dollar at the end). So I'm trying to gather up some info on a jet that'll work in a 120. I already have 1 that I'll still be using so suggestions would be appreciated.

With that being said I am on a budget. Just not as cheap as the eBay start in reverse budget.

Yes it's a reefer tank. I was looking at the Jeabo's I saw on eBay they were about 60 a piece to churn the water in my 120. Are the magnetic ones better than the suction cup ones?

Yes, suction cups need replacing every so often. I use a single aqueon 2400gph power head in my 105. that plus my 1600gph return is enough. I reseat the suction cup about every 2 months and have no problems.
BTW, your power heads can and probably should be left on all the time. Then you have no problem with it starting in reverse.

Yeah Mr X I actually do leave them on, but were prone to brown outs more than I'd like, hence the reverse start. Also are you saying could get away with one jet for my 120? I thought I'd need 3

I have a 105, which is the same footprint as yours, only 21" tall. I use a single 2400gph aqueon and my 1600gph return, split into two outputs. I'll eventually swap the aqueon for a vortech, but right now this is doing the job. I don't trust the jebao pumps since I got a wp40 and it failed on me after just a few months, and the manufacturer would not honor the warranty.

Can I ask you this Mr X what should my flow rate be through my pump? I've got two returns and I'm not really sure how much water should be returning out of them.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402694423.035418.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402694441.068114.jpg I think they may not be putting enough out. I can easily turn them up, but how much is the question and how do I know they are adjusted correctly?

What is the pump they are connected to? Is the sump in the stand? I would not have them choked back unless your overflows can't handle the flow.

You should find out the pump size. That said, no, you don't need slower flow in the sump. You have a skimmer in there you must feed water to. Your return pump should at least match the flow of the skimmer pump, and any other reactors in there. It also needs to match the overflow box. You need to find out what the gph is on that and match it. Otherwise air bubbles may accumulate in the J tube and eventually cause a siphon break.
That sump is a wet/dry, and that rock should not be above water. You are losing it's denitrifying ability.

That's undersized for your tank. After head loss it's probably only pushing about 400+ gph. You want something considerably stronger. Something at least twice the gph IMO.

Great, thanks for the info. I'll start looking into this week. So your saying I need one rated for 250?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No, not 250....more towards 1000 gph. That overflow is probably a 700 gph or higher unit. You can always choke back the pump, but you can't use an undersized pump or it (the overflow) will eventually fail. Save the QO 2200 (as I said earlier, I'm using the QO 6000 on my system) for a spare or to mix water with.

No, not 250....more towards 1000 gph. That overflow is probably a 700 gph or higher unit. You can always choke back the pump, but you can't use an undersized pump or it (the overflow) will eventually fail. Save the QO 2200 (as I said earlier, I'm using the QO 6000 on my system) for a spare or to mix water with.

Sorry Mr X when I said 250 I meant for a 250 gallon tank. I saw in your previous post the gph you recommended was more than what it have.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom