Jordan's 100 gallon FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why what happened?

I'm just realizing how expensive it is. I've spent over $500 and don't have any fish. I don't even have the money to keep the water salty enough. Lol. I just can't afford it right now. :( one of these days I'll be able to.

Well it's best to see that now, you can always pick up where you left off!

Exactly. It's overwhelming and I don't even have fish yet. When the fall semester starts I wouldn't have much time for the upkeep anyway. I'm really disappointed but I know it would crash and burn because I don't have the correct resources to take care of it.

That's a harsh realization, but better now than later. This hobby can be done with less expense, but usually in the nano category, larger tanks can get expensive fast. Mine has run for over 20 years now and there were times when money was tight and frankly the reef suffered. I hated that, but what do you do? Times got better and so did my reef. There is absolutely nothing wrong with starting small, in fact it makes sense.

That's a harsh realization, but better now than later. This hobby can be done with less expense, but usually in the nano category, larger tanks can get expensive fast. Mine has run for over 20 years now and there were times when money was tight and frankly the reef suffered. I hated that, but what do you do? Times got better and so did my reef. There is absolutely nothing wrong with starting small, in fact it makes sense.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. It was a hard decision to make. I am just going to stick with my 25 gallon reef and put all of my saltwater resources into it. Maybe I'll do a freshwater tank or something. We will see.

Here's the deal. If you can make you're 25 gallon successful, the bigger tank will be a snap.

Thanks. :) I'm going to do everything I can to keep it stable. I have a thread if y'all would like to follow along. I don't usually get much response on there.

You should have just stuck with the 55 :p

I knew I was going to hear that from you. Lol. I'm happy with myself for trying, but it just wasn't right. I don't want to halfway do it, ya know?

Good for you! The main thing is to enjoy the hobby and do it to the best of your ability!

Thank you! I agree with you! I'm actually probably going to do a trade on a 55 gallon, but it'll probably be freshwater at least for a little while.

I knew I was going to hear that from you. Lol. I'm happy with myself for trying, but it just wasn't right. I don't want to halfway do it, ya know?

Thank you! I agree with you! I'm actually probably going to do a trade on a 55 gallon, but it'll probably be freshwater at least for a little while.

Yea I just had to say something. I honestly saw you progressing good with the 55.

Yea I just had to say something. I honestly saw you progressing good with the 55.

I figured. I almost just didn't want to say anything because I knew it was coming. Lol! And thank you for that! I am already liking my 25 gallon reef more than I've ever liked any tank. I'm going to keep that for a while before changing anything else. I really love it!

Plus there were a lot of things I really hated about that 55 gallon tank. Lol

Well, someone just came and picked up the 100 gallon. I'm really sad about it. But they have a lionfish that's going to be happy to get out of a 50 gallon bowfront and into a 100.

My boyfriend is trying to talk me into doing the 55 saltwater instead of freshwater but I'm not sure I want to move everything out of my 25 gallon where they're happy. What do y'all think? I know y'all will be honest. Lol.

What's in the 25 u have now?

Fish:
1 ocellaris clown
1 blue green chromis
1 six line wrasse

Corals:
Kenya trees
Various palythoas
zoanthids
Hammer coral
Various mushrooms
Green star polyps
Devils hand leather
Pumping Xenias

Hermit crabs (unknown number)
1 Astraea turbo snail
Some nassarius snails
1 emerald crab
1 brittle star

I also have a tiny Refugium type thing I put together that has some chaeto in it.

I'm sure there are things I missed. Lol.

Well I guess the question is are you William g to do more maintenance on a larger tank? It'll be more stable due to a larger volume of water but at the same time there's a bit more work involved. It really depends on how much more you want to do!

Well I guess the question is are you William g to do more maintenance on a larger tank? It'll be more stable due to a larger volume of water but at the same time there's a bit more work involved. It really depends on how much more you want to do!

That's very true. I had a 55 gallon reef and I wasn't very successful. I mean, I didn't kill everything but I made a LOT of newbie mistakes that I probably wouldn't make again. (Just different mistakes probably. Lol) it's such a hard decision! I'm thinking I'll stick with going freshwater for now. Maybe I'll upgrade my my reef to a 40 gallon breeder or maybe another 55 gallon in the future.

Back
Top Bottom