Jordan's 100 gallon FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Powder blues tend to get quite aggressive in closed systems. I suggest against it. If it's blue you are after, go with an atlantic blue or hippo. If you like the shape, a powder brown would be a better choice.

I didn't know that about powder blues. Thank you. I would prefer a hippo tang anyway. I just thought the MTS was smaller for the powder blue.

Any thoughts on the clowns mr_X?

I agree with the powder blue being a bad idea. I would not risk the two dwarf angels in one tank...maybe in something like a 300g. Maybe a dwarf and a pygmy (fireball, cherub, etc)? Blue jaw triggers are very mellow (for triggers) and if this is a six foot tank, could be okay. I had a small male in a 90g 4' tank years ago and it seemed okay. That was pre-Internet and the LFS said it would be okay. With more info available nowadays, I'm not sure if I'd go less than 5-6' tank.

I agree with the powder blue being a bad idea. I would not risk the two dwarf angels in one tank...maybe in something like a 300g. Maybe a dwarf and a pygmy (fireball, cherub, etc)? Blue jaw triggers are very mellow (for triggers) and if this is a six foot tank, could be okay. I had a small male in a 90g 4' tank years ago and it seemed okay. That was pre-Internet and the LFS said it would be okay. With more info available nowadays, I'm not sure if I'd go less than 5-6' tank.

Thanks for the advice! It is a 6' tank. I'm not dead set on having two angels, so I will probably just play it safe and stick to having only one. (Probably the flame angel) I would definitely rehome any fish that get big enough to seem crowded. I'm a little bummed about the powder blue, but aggression is something I'm trying to keep to a minimum. I love hippo tangs, I just know they will have to be rehomed sooner.

Not necessarily. When you see the PB tormenting the rest of the fish relentlessly, you'll be re homing that a lot sooner IMO!

I like ocellaris clowns. they stay small and look the best IMO. get tank raised ones if you can, unless you want an anemo0ne down the road.

I like ocellaris clowns. they stay small and look the best IMO. get tank raised ones if you can, unless you want an anemo0ne down the road.

+1 agreed and if introduced at once, a small school of them is very cool. They have a heap of personality and as damsel fish, they are very hardy and easy to care for. They also work in smaller reefs as their territory is usually about 1 cubic foot. They will nip the heck out of you when working in the tank bare handed.

Not necessarily. When you see the PB tormenting the rest of the fish relentlessly, you'll be re homing that a lot sooner IMO!

+1 agreed and if introduced at once, a small school of them is very cool. They have a heap of personality and as damsel fish, they are very hardy and easy to care for. They also work in smaller reefs as their territory is usually about 1 cubic foot. They will nip the heck out of you when working in the tank bare handed.

Thanks. I really appreciate y'all's advice. And I'm SO glad you mentioned the aggression of the Powder Blue. I was completely unaware.

I'm definitely going to try my hand at a school of clowns. Ocellaris are my absolute favorite, so that's what kind ill have. Maybe I'll throw a couple black ocellaris in the mix.

I always try to get tank raised fish as I feel conservation of wildlife is important, particularly our reefs!

If they are all introduced at once there shouldn't be many aggression issues, right? I'm excited.

There are always a few aggression issues with damsels, even clowns, but putting a group in usually keeps any one individual from getting picked on.

There are always a few aggression issues with damsels, even clowns, but putting a group in usually keeps any one individual from getting picked on.

Great. Thanks. Now to sit back and wait for it to cycle!

Yep, there awesome. You can buy them as already saltwater or make them saltwater

Sweet. I've decided to add those first. Usually I would add clowns first after the cuc but since I'm planning on 12 clowns or so, I don't want to make that investment first. It's a used tank so I want to make sure there isn't anything detrimental in it. I will drip acclimate them since saltwater stores here don't carry them.

Sweet. I've decided to add those first. Usually I would add clowns first after the cuc but since I'm planning on 12 clowns or so, I don't want to make that investment first. It's a used tank so I want to make sure there isn't anything detrimental in it. I will drip acclimate them since saltwater stores here don't carry them.

Sounds good, clown heaven on the future. Are you planning to breed them?

Sounds good, clown heaven on the future. Are you planning to breed them?

Yep. I'm ecstatic! I do not want to breed them. I just want to enjoy them. :) maybe one of these days I'll get into that, but for now I don't have the proper resources to do it correctly. :)

Here's an updated picture. I've never been so ready for a tank to finish cycling so I can add a fish. Lol.

img_2566277_0_b51050b8b70713dbbb3567d398f5e247.jpg

Looks good, lots of rock. I like it!

Thank you!! Got really lucky with the rock. :) $40 for all of it isn't bad, IMO. Haha. I keep finding a hermit crab or two in there. I think there's 3 or 4 that were attached to the rock and rode in there.

What's the latest on the tank? How are your parameters looking?

I added a dead fish about a week and a half ago but I've been out of town and haven't checked it. I've been taking care of my tank that has stuff living in it. Lol. I will post when I do. This tank has me stressing. Not sure if I'm going to be able to afford it! We will see.

Back
Top Bottom