Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2003, 08:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

JUST hooked up ro/di any last min words of advice?

just hooked up ro/di filling up 25gal. bucketw/ my new pure water.when sould Istart putting in supplements.Its a 150 gal tank.just doing 25 gal. to start.Takes forever to make water.anyone w/ experiance have any tips?

Old 02-17-2003, 08:43 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

If the RO/DI is new you should not use the product water that is produced for the first several hours. Not sure what supplaments you are adding to the water...or why, so I can't advise.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 08:46 PM   #3

It will depend on how your RO/DI is rated. Most of them are Gallons per day. So, if you get one rated for 25 GPD then that is all it wil yield in a 24 hour period.

Quote:
when sould Istart putting in supplements
Depends on what you are wnating the end result to be. If you mean Calcium, you will probably want dose the tank. Doing water changes with RO/DI water from what I understand, lowers the calcium in the tank so you will need to dose with Kalk or do some kind of calcium supplement.. I use a daily dose supplemant called OCEANS BLEND

www.r-e-e-f.com
Old 02-17-2003, 08:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

its 100 gpd.I use kalkwasser as make up water at nite .I let it run 1and 1/2 hrs to fush unit .instuctions say 20 min. to half hr. tested water w/ tds meter water tested good(2)just wondering if any tricks or tips?
Old 02-17-2003, 08:58 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
Doing water changes with RO/DI water from what I understand, lowers the calcium in the tank
I haven't heard that one before. Newly mixed SW has around 400 ppm Ca. It's not enough to maintain the Ca unless you have very little Ca usage.

If you keep the inlet pressure high to your RO membrane, you will get increased efficiency (less wast water, more RO/day). You may want to use a pump designed for this unless your house pressure is high enough. At my house it is 80 - 100 psi so it's not an issue.

Quote:
If the RO/DI is new you should not use the product water that is produced for the first several hours
Why is this RR? I was showing 0 TDS after a few minutes. Are there assembly lubricants or something that needs to be flushed out?
Old 02-17-2003, 09:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Doing water changes with RO/DI water from what I understand, lowers the calcium in the tank
It is fact that RO/DI units reduce calcium in the end result. One of the reasons that they are used in health clubs here in Jville for steam rooms and saunas. I know that SW mixes contain enough calcium in the mix to produce the right amount of calcium. I forgot to mention that.. sorry....
Old 02-17-2003, 09:04 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Why is this RR? I was showing 0 TDS after a few minutes. Are there assembly lubricants or something that needs to be flushed out?
The TFC membrane is treated with preservatives prior to vacuum sealing. Flushing it for an hour or so (Kent recommends the first 10g) will get rid of the preservative.

Old 02-17-2003, 09:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

pressure on unit between 40-50 psi.The guy who sold it said 1 1/2 hrs .before use Bcause I flushed it. I dont know very new at this.Just taking his word for it.Water is big differance .from tap water like I was using.Ill see if things perk up
Old 02-17-2003, 09:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

so I should toss thefist 10 gal.Just to be safe?
Old 02-17-2003, 09:14 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

If you flushed it for 1.5 hrs I wouldn't worry about it too much. I do think you might consider a booster pump, I think they are designed to be used with pressure around 65-70 PSI or higher.

Tags
ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com