Kalcwasser question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sqasnatch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys I have been correcting tank parameters just using separate calcium and alkalinity additives for years now, but havnt tried kalkwasser yet. Tell me if I'm wrong but is kalkwasser just to help stabilize. And u can't actually use it to correct a parameter that is out of wack

Yep. You adjust the calcium and alkalinity to the point you want it to be at then use Kalkwasser to keep the levels there.

I tried kalk in my ATO and didnt have much success, my levels still dropped daily. Will be trying 2 part next. :-D

Ok thank guys. I was making an order, just needed to know if I should be getting alk separately too. Appreciate it

I've been dosing 1.5 tsp per gal for a while now and my Ca stays around 500 and Alk around 11 constantly. I also dose Randy's Mg as there is no Mg in Lime. I have about 30 small but thriving LPS & SPS going.

I recently started adding 40mL per gal Vinegar to my Lime mix which helps keep my PH in check too.

MikeYQM said:
I've been dosing 1.5 tsp per gal for a while now and my Ca stays around 500 and Alk around 11 constantly. I also dose Randy's Mg as there is no Mg in Lime. I have about 30 small but thriving LPS & SPS going.

I recently started adding 40mL per gal Vinegar to my Lime mix which helps keep my PH in check too.

I guess you mean those are the parameters of your top off and not your tank water

Nope tank Ca 480-500, Alk 11-12. PH steady around 8.35-8.45 day & night. Mg is around 1350 thanks to dosing Randy's recipe for Mg.

Yes, 11-12 dKH is on the high side and some corals don't like alk that high. 7-8 dKH is fine. I personally target my alk for 8-9 dKH and calcium around 420. There is absolutely no advantage to keeping calcium any higher, but some salts have calcium that high (500) so it may depend on what salt you are using.

I know it's at the top end of the range, but it's stable & the tank is thriving so 'if it's not broke, don't fix it'.

Point being, all I use is kalk on a well stocked tank and easily maintain appropriate levels. It's easy too, mix a months worth in a 20 gal bin, add 5 gal each week to my ATO reservoir. My Mg mix will last almost a year at current dosage.

Tank on cruise control. Weekly water change & that's it.

Yeah I got to get on board on the ato, everyday by hand is a pain, for a ato could I just use a doser pump with a float switch,

You could. Before I got my Profilux, I used a timer. Safer in my opinion. At least I knew the most amount of water to get pumped in each day.

With the Profilux level sensor, I have it set to shut off after 7 mins so even if the sensor fails or gets knocked, I won't flood. I have a max PH too because of the Lime. Double redundancy gives me peace of mind.

Also I leave room in my sump for 5 extra gallons, and 5 gallons is my resovoir, so even if it does malfunction I'm still safe

Safe from floods but 5 gals can drastically change your salinity. If youre doubt ATO with lime, 5 Gal would send your PH through the roof.

Good point. But if I'm using a doser and a timer, It won't dump it in there all at once. Say u have the timer set to twice a day for 10 minutes, or something along those lines

A dosing pump will keep it safer. I would suggest dosing a smaller amount every hour or so This will keep your system much more stable

Back
Top Bottom