Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2005, 11:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Kalk causing surface film?

I recently setup an auto-topoff system which is absolutely wonderful. Then I got the idea to mix Kalkwasser into the topoff water. Everything is going fine except for this white-ish film on the surface of the aquarium. There was no such film before and I do have surface agitation (which is why there was no film before). But now I guess my surface agitation just isn't enough to overcome this.

Is this to be expected? Common with kalk? Solutions? As my topoff water container runs dry I'll try refilling it with a more dilute solution of kalk to see if that helps.

Old 01-08-2005, 11:41 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
How are you adding he kalk? You shouldnt be adding the kalk that falls out of solution. If you can adjust your kalk pickup hose to be about 1" from the bottom of the container that way the precip can collect at the bottom till its cleaned out.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
Are you only dripping the clear limewater and avoiding the precip on the bottom as well as the film at the surface?
Old 01-08-2005, 11:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The pump for my topoff is picking up the water at maybe 1/4" to 1/2" off the bottom. Sounds like I just need to raise that by a 1/2" or so to avoid it picking up the bottom precip. I'll give it a try. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

What you are seeing is percipatate. the kalk is being drawn out by co2 in the air. Aggitating the surface will only cause more of the kalk to percipatate. A little trick to help you would be to grab some bubble wrap and place it on the surface of the kalk, this will not allow co2 to come into contact with the kalk. It should stay in place until the bucket is empty.

Mike

www.reeffrontiers.com
mojoreef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
film, surface

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com