Tiny white surface leapers - what are they?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bazouteast

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a mature tank, which I keep for the occasional breeding pairs. Recently I have noticed tiny white dots only on the surface. They are very small, perhaps 0.25-0.5mm, and they jump about 1cm over the water surface. In all my years keeping freshwater tropicals, I have never seen this before. Does anyone know what these might be, if they are harmful to the fish, and what causes them?
Thanks in anticipation.
Baz

I have a mature tank, which I keep for the occasional breeding pairs. Recently I have noticed tiny white dots only on the surface. They are very small, perhaps 0.25-0.5mm, and they jump about 1cm over the water surface. In all my years keeping freshwater tropicals, I have never seen this before. Does anyone know what these might be, if they are harmful to the fish, and what causes them?
Thanks in anticipation.
Baz

I don't have an exact answer, but I have them in one of my breeding tanks as well, they like my floaters. They haven't harmed any of my plants or animals, so i think they're probably lice or some sort of water beetle.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Without a picture it's hard to say but you do get small aphids that live on surface/ floating plants in aquariums and these are small, light grey and hop about. They don't cause any problems and most fish eat them if they see them.

Back
Top Bottom