Kalking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bighabeeb

Aquarium Advice Freak
So...as I'm starting to add corals (have a couple pieces arriving tomorrow on top of what is already in - just an open brain and some zoanthids...few more zoas coming) I've been reading up and watching the bulkreefsupply videos about calcium/alkalinity dosing, and where kalk falls into all of that. So my question is this...

My tank has a big ol' hood on it hiding the light fixture. As much as I'd love to say I could remove that, wife ain't going for it (I quote "It looks like a fish shop without the hood) so I need to come up with a creative place to put a drip of kalk going into the tank (once I've tested and have enough corals to need it)...

Is there any harm to having the drip go directly into the sump, for example? My sump is currently not housing light or live rock or anything else alive - it is strictly in place to run things through physical filtration and a skimmer...but I could conceivably hide a 1 gallon jug down there and have the drip line go directly into the sump...

Would that still be effective? Any negative impact to doing it in that manner?

Thanks again all for helping me get this far - so close to where I want to be, and don't want to blow it now!

Well sweet - and here I thought I was overthinking things :)

In all the videos I watched they had it going directly into the DT so I wasn't sure - thanks :)

it's all the same water.

Very true - I'm just never sure what all is happening down there - and if I DID add lighting/lr to the sump if having the kalk dripping down there would cause a problem :)

Dripping to the sump is the best place to add it. Saturated lime has a pH near 12; adding to the sump will allow OT to dilute before contacting fish or corals.

Back
Top Bottom