Fish arrived but stressed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

faysalals1

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Betta just arrived today through delivery, and he looks very healthy and beautiful.

I put him in the tank with a 4 degree difference in temperature, and forget to drip water for 2 hours, so im not sure if I shocked his system?

He is breathing fast, and hes barely swimming, and hes trying to hide and stay on the bottom.. Im now noticing that he is swimming facing upwards, so maybe he has Vertical Death Hang?

Should I just leave him and wait, or is there something I should do?

4F or 4C? 4F is fine, 4C might be a bit of a shock but I dont think it would cause any harm.

Unless your water parameters are very different a 2 hour drip acclimatisation is a bit much, and if your fish are delivered it might be harmful.

Ammonia will build up in the water during transit. But the fishes respiration, removing O2 and adding CO2 will acidify the water. Ammonia is much less harmful in acidic water. You open the bag, the CO2 offgasses, water becomes less acidic, ammonia becomes more toxic. Your fish is now in toxic water for the drip acclimating period.

When your fish are mail order its often safer to get the fish out of the water as quick as you are able once the bag has been opened. Temperature match the bag by floating it in the aquarium for 20 minutes, open the bag and get the fish in the tank ASAP.

4F or 4C? 4F is fine, 4C might be a bit of a shock but I dont think it would cause any harm.

Unless your water parameters are very different a 2 hour drip acclimatisation is a bit much, and if your fish are delivered it might be harmful.

Ammonia will build up in the water during transit. But the fishes respiration, removing O2 and adding CO2 will acidify the water. Ammonia is much less harmful in acidic water. You open the bag, the CO2 offgasses, water becomes less acidic, ammonia becomes more toxic. Your fish is now in toxic water for the drip acclimating period.

When your fish are mail order its often safer to get the fish out of the water as quick as you are able once the bag has been opened. Temperature match the bag by floating it in the aquarium for 20 minutes, open the bag and get the fish in the tank ASAP.

Ok that sgood because I said I forgot to do the 2 hour drip (which is what some people advised). I put him in right away but I did not let the bag acclimate. I made sure the temperature is close and add him to the tank.

Im now noticing that he is swimming facing upwards, so maybe he has Vertical Death Hang?

For now all I did was add stress guard from seachem to calm him down, and im thinking of adding some salt, but I wasnt sure.. what do you advise?

Back
Top Bottom