Lalo Rock from the good doctors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshsReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if any one who has purchased some lalo rock from live aquaria would tell me what they think about it. Is it worth the extra money compared to premium figi rock ? and is really as porus compared to figi as the doctors say ? and how does it look compared to Figi rock six months down the road ?

Thanks in advance

I would rather use the fiji rock. Just seems to be better for me. More life on the rock IMO.

I bought 30 lbs of the Lalo rock for my tank and loved it. It is FULL of life, both good and bad though. The bad part is that in shipment, a lot of it dies off and it takes forever to "cure" it from the die off (usually a week or two of sitting in a rubbermaid, while changing the water almost daily). I guess it depends on the quality of your rock and the amount, but in the end I think it was definitley worth it to get the Lalo rock. Just my opinion of course. :)

I'm prertty sure Linday was referring to the die off from the transit time. This is NOT cured LR and must be cured when you get it. The same goes for the Fiji or any LR that is shipped (IMO).

Yes I understand that, I have ordered 90 pounds of figi live rock from them previously and I loved it, just wish it was a little more porous than it was. Which is why I am considering adding some Lalo rock to it.

After a few weeks in the tank I had a small bryopsis outbreak, a very annoying pest algae. It had to come from the new rock, since I had never had it before.

I love the rock though.

I really have nothing to compare to, but the Lalo rock I have is very porous. More caves and holes than you can count. I ordered twice, each time was 30 lbs. The first shipment came with a basketball sized piece and some smaller pieces. The second shipment came with some very large, flat, strange shaped pieces as well.

Lots of color and Coraline algae. It has been in my tank for a few months now and I really can not say I have had much problem with pests at this point. It seems to me that anytime you harvest from the wild you are likely to bring home some surprises.

For reference here is s photo of the rock in my tank. There are other photos in there of the rock as it was unpacked too if you care to browse for them.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u157/sparky697_photo/Reef Tank/12-9-20075.jpg
http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u157/sparky697_photo/Reef Tank/

Thanks for the pictures and information regarding the lalo rock. I have not made a decision yet but I am leaning to adding some lalo instead of the figi.

Back
Top Bottom